Morris C4 WT census number info

Carruthers

Hi All,

I have checked other Morris threads to make sure this info is not listed anywhere else first, so would anyone have the Z numbers for Morris contract 2244.

the number stamped on the rear chassis hanger is 2244 WT 1539. Expect this would have been issued late 1943 for about 1500 or so vehicles.

Also looking for info on 2280 GS 434.

thanks in anticipation

Simon

Hi All,

I have checked other Morris threads to make sure this info is not listed anywhere else first, so would anyone have the Z numbers for Morris contract 2244.

the number stamped on the rear chassis hanger is 2244 WT 1539. Expect this would have been issued late 1943 for about 1500 or so vehicles.

thanks in anticipation

Simon

Hi Simon,

Not sure if you have made a mistake with the Contract number, or whether there is an error in the copy of the Chilwell list, but nearest I can find is Contract no. S.2245, Cat. ref. 328, which is for a 15cwt W/T House Mk.III, WD no's Z5400641 to 5403640.

And for the GS, I can find no trace of a contract for Morris trucks with number 2280.

This has made me think, because 30 years ago, I helped restore a C4, just dug out the details and it was a Compressor truck from Contract S.1622, but chassis number started 2169 C4 ***, so these numbers may not be contract refs, hence why no trace of one and the other is one digit out. :undecided:

regards, Richard

Hi All,

thanks in anticipation

Simon

Hi Simon , Have you any other i.d. plates on your trucks ( on / in the cab or the radio box) which will give you the correct contract numbers for your vehicles - I have several sets of contract numbers and corresponding census numbers for a lot of british vehicles most of which came from chilwell sources as per richard but they are non specific in the same sense as richard says as they don't correspond to specific models . I have been researching most of my vehicles over the years and have complete details for all of my motorcycles , My Guy Ants are complete but I am stilll struggling with both of my Morris CS8's and my Bedford MWD to find the links between chassis numbers and census numbers - Build data basically

I have several parts books for both Morris and Bedford but haven't found the ones with my contract numbers - One of my Guy ants however I found all the production data in one parts list I got from the British Leyland museum , so sometimes you fall lucky!?If you find your contract numbers let me know and I will look into them

Did you get my pm re- air cleaners? cheers:coffee:

• 2 months later...

I've just acquired a parts book for C4/WTs which sheds a bit of light on this. It's AP2786, dated June 1944 and chassis no 2244/C4/WT/1539 is listed in it, which I guess means you've got an RAF vehicle rather than an Army one. It refers to MOS Contract 294/23/S6446, 533 C4/WT chassis, Sanctions 2244/22035.

The book doesn't list the RAF serial numbers but it gives the vehicle's original engine number as ELA.44487, if that's any help.

• 2 years later...

Hi Tobin,

I've got a parts book for the C8/AT Mk III from Sanction no. 1961. There were 800 vehicles starting at 1961/C8/AT/7043 to 1961/C8/AT/7842(I'm guessing at this last number because there are some pages missing which unfortunately include your vehicle - the last number in my book is 1961/C8/AT/7564.

The vehicles in this parts book were supplied to Contract No. 294/V.4171. I can't find any reference to cont. V.4171 in the Chilwell lists so I can't help you with a definite serial number range but the parts book is dated March 1942 which should give a rough manufacturing date for your vehicle.

To try and work out your serial number:

The Chilwell lists give some serial number ranges for C8/ATs:

L4305025-L4306053, cont. no. V3950. These are listed as MkIIIs

L4310918-L4310937, cont. no. V3950. These are listed as MkIIIs

L4549636-L4549854, cont. no. V3957.

L4566669-L4567268, cont. no. T322

L457269-L4568068, cont. no. T322 This is a batch of 800 vehicles - I'm wondering if it is the same batch as contract V.4171, in which case your serial number might have been L4567976, assuming the vehicles were serial numbered in the same sequence as their chassis numbers.

L4571261-L4571760, cont. no. V4538

Bovington might have the contract card for your vehicle.

Phew! I hope some of this makes sense!

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Could anyone help me about my Morris C4?

I'm searching for the date of production and type of body (which was totaly modified).

The cab roof was also modified I think, it's made of steel, not canvas.

Here the references on the truck :

Trucks 15 CWT 4x2 C4 / WT

MCC cont N° 23/6778

Chassis N° 2202 C4 / WT 3357

Cat ref N° 337

Thanks,

Aurelien

DSC_1200-2.jpg

Bienvenu Aurelien,

Your Morris C4 was built as a "Truck, 15cwt, 4x2, Light Warning" which means it would have had a van body similar to a wireless truck, which is why it has got the letters WT in its chassis number. Its Army number was somewhere between Z5832027 and Z5832356. I can't give you a build date, sorry.

There are pictures of Morris WT vehicles in post number 20 of this thread

• 2 years later...

Hi

I was just reading through this series of postings from a while back an wondered if any more progress was made with the serial numbers?

I have Morris C4 2244 WT 2093 and has assumed the 2244 was a date, obviously this is wrong now by reading the above posts.? What does it mean?

I'm also on the lookout for a parts book if there is one out there?

Am I right in thinking the wireless bodied trucks had an under chassis spare wheel carrier?

What about any documentary materials relating tot he wireless bodies? was there ever a manual?

ever hopeful

Nick

Hi

I was just reading through this series of postings from a while back an wondered if any more progress was made with the serial numbers?

I have Morris C4 2244 WT 2093 and has assumed the 2244 was a date, obviously this is wrong now by reading the above posts.? What does it mean?

I'm also on the lookout for a parts book if there is one out there?

Am I right in thinking the wireless bodied trucks had an under chassis spare wheel carrier?

What about any documentary materials relating tot he wireless bodies? was there ever a manual?

ever hopeful

Nick

Then we are with two that are looking for more information, mine has chassis number 2202 C4 WT 3357.

As some of the C4 wireless had run flat tyres there was no use for a spare, and if there were normal tyres used you can see on old pictures that the spare tyre was kept on top off the radio box.

On the back you only have a step to go in to the radio box . There was a C4 in a option some time back and the rear was modified for a spare tyre, is this your C4 now.

Guy

Edited by guy66

I'm rather hoping that some day it might look like that, at the moment its something of a wreck!

It has a quite convincing spare wheel carrier fitted that has been modified to a tow bar, if its not correct then it can all be cut off!!

28.09.15 017.jpg

not starting for a long time yet, there are many distractions to keep me busy :-)

As you say however, It is something of a wreck!!! though in its favour the truck is very complete..

regards

nick

Hi nick, yes it's quite at home with all the other rust in the shed :-) I did manage to recover a lot of bits of the rear body, probably enough of the various panels to replicate another, it's a shame because the last time I saw it it was in one lump, it was also rustier than i remembered !!