Scimitar 04FD16 and 03FD06

jimmygmc4

Hi All. Can any one help? I am trying to find pictures and history on two Scimitars. Does anyone have any pictures of 04FD16 and 03FD06 and are these vehicles still in one piece in private ownership? A new chap came to sit next to me in work and these were his first vehicles when new. Thanks in advance. Ed (Jimmygmc4)

I am with Chris. I do know that 04FD14 was a Scorpion with 2 Tp, B Sqn, 15/19H in 1981. The troop had 02FD14 and 04FD14 which made referring to a particular vehicle by just its last two impossible.

I understand that the first Scimitars were registered in the high 04FDxx's, following on from the last of the Scorpions, the earliest of which I saw may well have been 02FD14 (though it had been through Scorpole at least once by the time I crewed it). Certainly it is the lowest number I can remember seeing.

I've been collecting books, photos and details of CVRTs for a number of years. So far the earliest reg number I've seen is 01FD96, this was a Scorpion and is now a Sabre and is residing in my friends shed. I've not seen any Scimitars with 04FD registration numbers, only 05 onwards. One day I'll try and go through the record cards which will be interesting.

So far I have 90 Sabre registration numbers, out of 136 built. 04FD16 and 03FD06 aren't on it.

Chris

IMG_0777.jpg

I've been collecting books, photos and details of CVRTs for a number of years. So far the earliest reg number I've seen is 01FD96, this was a Scorpion and is now a Sabre and is residing in my friends shed. I've not seen any Scimitars with 04FD registration numbers, only 05 onwards. One day I'll try and go through the record cards which will be interesting.

So far I have 90 Sabre registration numbers, out of 136 built. 04FD16 and 03FD06 aren't on it.

Chris

I wasn't prepared to commit whether Scorpions went back to 01FDxx because I simply could not remember, though I did believe it did. Glad to know my gut instinct was right.

I am pretty sure that at one time the third of our four Scorpions in 2 Tp, B Sqn, 15/19H was 04FD96. (The actual vehicles changed periodically as the oldest were whisked off for Scorpole and replaced with something straight off the Scorpole line, so that even though 02FD14 was the oldest Scorpion I can remember, it was in fact bang up to date. It "belonged" to the troop sergeant who, being responsible for the troop's equipment, made sure he had the best one (he would also convince the troop leader that the second-best crew were best so that he could have the best driver and gunner in the troop)).

So although I am sure in the back of my mind that our Close Recce Squadron (A Sqn) had Scimitars in the 04FDxx range, either there was not much scope or the first Scimitar numbers and the last Scorpion numbers overlapped.

Hi All. Can any one help? I am trying to find pictures and history on two Scimitars. Does anyone have any pictures of 04FD16 and 03FD06 and are these vehicles still in one piece in private ownership? A new chap came to sit next to me in work and these were his first vehicles when new. Thanks in advance. Ed (Jimmygmc4)

I found lots of RTR tank (scorpion / schimitar ? pics on

http://www.rtr.org.uk/albums.htm

and

http://www.1rtr.net/frontpage.html

and

http://m136.de/wordpress/

The last one is a german website with lots of pics taken during BAOR exercises - they are listed by exercise name down the lower left hand side of the home page , when the list of execrcises comes up start with the ones with union jacks and the word galerie - Gallery - has all the pics.

Good luck

That is an awesome website. It appears largely to postdate my time (just) but I am amazed for example at the detail of what happened on Crusader 80, right to to blue and Orange forces and phases of the battle, from Orange assault from the direction of Brunswick to Goodwood, when Blue recce drew the Orange forces into a massive killing zone and destroying the Orange assault, then the counterattack, right down to the days.

This site is going to keep me occupied for weeks (not least because I shall have to translate it) and I hope to find a picture of myself commanding a Ferret on Crusader, when I distinctly remember being asked if I'd mind being photographed for a magazine.

That is an awesome website. It appears largely to postdate my time (just) but I am amazed for example at the detail of what happened on Crusader 80, right to to blue and Orange forces and phases of the battle, from Orange assault from the direction of Brunswick to Goodwood, when Blue recce drew the Orange forces into a massive killing zone and destroying the Orange assault, then the counterattack, right down to the days.

This site is going to keep me occupied for weeks (not least because I shall have to translate it) and I hope to find a picture of myself commanding a Ferret on Crusader, when I distinctly remember being asked if I'd mind being photographed for a magazine.

I have seen a few pictures of ferrets on there - but you do have to trawl through them bit by bit.

There are also a few videos on there too.

Jim

• 2 years later...

Hi Ed,

I have just came across your post re 04FD16 - i have this vehicle and it is still going well as a Scorpion. in fact i have just repainted it in the colours it worn in Gulf war 1. Are you still intouch with the old crew man ? TTFN Shaun

• 11 years later...