Repairing ammo boots?

BIG AL PRICE

surely this would be RASC not RAOC wouldnt they be busy with ordanance related jobs?

Nigel

Nigel,

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps was the storekeeper and supplier to the Army. They would supply and repair uniforms, inc boots, repair tentage, etc., vehicle and parts, tyres, furniture, food and rations, you name it they supplied it. It might seem the the word "ordnance" refers to weapons and ammo, but that is only part of their role...or was, now joined together with RCT, successors to RASC, to form RLC

Edited by Richard Farrant
amended re. RLC

Nigel,

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps was the storekeeper and supplier to the Army. They would supply and repair uniforms, inc boots, repair tentage, etc., vehicle and parts, tyres, furniture, you name it they supplied it. It might seem the the word "ordnance" refers to weapons and ammo, but that is only part of their role...or was, now joined together with RLC, successors to RASC.

that is why I like this forum ,you learn something new everyday,as you guessed I was just looking at the word ordonance and assuming that was their roll.I presume that the regimental quartermaster was supplie with goods by the RAOC and then distributed kit from there on ?

Nigel

cheers for the replies guys,brilliant.

Clive,can you tell me the manual those pics came from please.i would love a copy of that!

as a re-enactor,one of the displays i want to do is field repairs for boots,i have lots of bits for this,hobs,heels,soles,lasts ect so want to be wearin the correct capbadge.

thanks again,keep it coming please!

Al

cheers for the replies guys,brilliant.

Clive,can you tell me the manual those pics came from please.i would love a copy of that!

as a re-enactor,one of the displays i want to do is field repairs for boots,i have lots of bits for this,hobs,heels,soles,lasts ect so want to be wearin the correct capbadge.

thanks again,keep it coming please!

Al

Hey Al, sounds like a load of old 'Cobblers' to me.................................:-D

The key documents are Regulations for Army Ordnance Services. Volume 3. Pamphlet No. 37. Instructions for the operation of a returned stores depot in the field. 1944 & the same 1954. 26/Regulations/2476.

Would be nice to see a cobblers display. Like you, I find the peripherals of conflict far more interesting than guns & swords.

App2066.jpg

Tony sorry I have no idea what the basic trailer type was in WW2. As for 1954, I can find no suitable trailers in my 1954 FVRDE catalogue, so presumably they were still running of the WW2 type. I guess they would have been 2-Ton rating.

Clive

While we are on a thread re repair depots etc, do you have (or anyone else) anything about Local Repair Service (LRS) workshops of the REME (especially in desert conflict)? Don't want to hijack this thread so maybe posted as a seperate thread might be good.

Regards

Gary

While we are on a thread re repair depots etc, do you have (or anyone else) anything about Local Repair Service (LRS) workshops of the REME (especially in desert conflict)? Don't want to hijack this thread so maybe posted as a seperate thread might be good.

Gary,

I will try not to step on Clive's toes here :-D I was a bit mystified by your "Local Repair Service", but on investigation, it is the wrong meaning of L.R.S., which actually stood for Light Repair Section, an element of a Divisional Workshop. Afraid I cannot find anything more specific than that. (info from REME history - "Craftsman of the Army").

Richard I was thumbing through that one as well anyway that saved me thumbing any further.

Gary, apart from the usual REME Manual & REME Training Manuals, I have for desert warfare Unit Standing Orders & Standing Operating Procedures for a Parachute Squadron RAC Workshop REME This is Issue No.1 Copy No.1 & is indeed rare.

Note that it says "a Parachute Squadron RAC" & it predates the formation of The Parachute Squadron RAC by one year. The expected field of conflict was of course the desert.

I am convinced I have a more general document which the above was based on that was from procedures & organisational experiences of a REME Airborne Workshop in Palestine. I can't remember the exact title & I can't for the moment find it.

Gary,

I will try not to step on Clive's toes here :-D I was a bit mystified by your "Local Repair Service", but on investigation, it is the wrong meaning of L.R.S., which actually stood for Light Repair Section, an element of a Divisional Workshop. Afraid I cannot find anything more specific than that. (info from REME history - "Craftsman of the Army").

Richard, From MY time in the Service, it was known as an L.A.D, with which you will know of Im sure.

L.A.D = Light Aid Detachment, which is a small workshops that was attached to nearly every unit in the British Army. This may well be the Postwar Derivitive name for L.A.S? Just a practical thought.......

Mike :-D

Richard, From MY time in the Service, it was known as an L.A.D, with which you will know of Im sure.

L.A.D = Light Aid Detachment, which is a small workshops that was attached to nearly every unit in the British Army. This may well be the Postwar Derivitive name for L.A.S? Just a practical thought.......

Mike :-D

Just as an 'Add On' information snippit for those members who may be interested, but dont know.

The Army repair system goes like this in a chain of command:

L.A.D = Unit Repair workshop. Get you home temporary repairs. Permanant repairs, unit inspections & routine repairs.

Field Worshop = Large workshop, also deployable in times of war. A Wksp caperble of more major & difficult repairs. Major assembly replacement that spares were not held for at unit level. IE: Engines, transfer & Gearboxes, steering units Etc. This would alos cover all other equipments, Radio, Weapons, Etc.

Base Workshop = Major overhauls & rebuilds, Total replacements Etc. Today, in some instances a Base Wksp can be the Civvy factory that actually manufactured a particular item. I also worked in one of these doing in Civvy Street doing refurbs & Major replacements on Small Arms.

Sadly, these days, Worshops are run on a Comercial basis by SERCO (Thumbs in MANY pies!)

Basicaly, a similar three tier system is ongoing. But you indent for forwarding a particula equipment with the defect & they get back to you with a job number & call the equipment forward. This pretty much has a standard price for the repair & the .M.O.D is billed accordingly.

Another reason why the Services are always banging on about correct usage procedures & correct servicing. To prevent costly repairs. The usual, all about money. :red:

A lot of servicing has gone out to tender contracts as they recon it's more economical?? :undecided:

There is still a lot of 'Saving pennies & Wasting thousands though!!!:mad:

Mike. :undecided:

Gary,

Richard

Thanks for correction, don't know where I got local repair service from but yes it is the Light Repair Section - I am trying to get anything of the desert operations by them etc.

Regards

Gary

Richard

Thanks for correction, don't know where I got local repair service from but yes it is the Light Repair Section - I am trying to get anything of the desert operations by them etc.

Gary,

I omited to say that in the ref. book where I found the meaning of LRS, it specifically said that it related to 1939-45 period. If I can dig up anything further, I will post it on here.