Reflectors Aghhhhh

R Cubed

That's fighting talk, that is .....

Want to start with a discussion on the fitment of King Bee Foto-Ray No. 295s to the early VC Dodges, and Anthes Force Oiler Co. equivalents on the late WC 215 half tons, but only those built by bodywork contractors ?

Spot the difference?

KINGOIL.jpg

Ooopppsss sorry, bit too vague then, right GMC CCKW352 truck original fitments. Something like type of reflector frame fitted (what was the maker), type of reflector lens Stimsonite? but what type ? what colours of lens and where on truck.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it :cool2:

I don't think you will get a definitive answerr to your question Richard. Looking through some of my books all trucks seem to have reflectors on the tailboard but not all have one on the body side at the rear and not all have one on the front of the body on 353's or tanks on 352's.

I don't think you will get a definitive answerr to your question Richard. Looking through some of my books all trucks seem to have reflectors on the tailboard but not all have one on the body side at the rear and not all have one on the front of the body on 353's or tanks on 352's.

I know, been reading the CCKW forum, and I have checked mine they are Guide A-2 and amber but I don't know what style the lens is ? and if it is correct, where the red ones should go. I would like to get it as right as I can but who knows what is right ....... so many suggestions out there...

Rivet counting here we go.

I don't know the type as my GMC ORD 7-8-9 isn't here, but I remember checking what went where on my DUKW.

Red reflectors on rear, and rear side corners, amber reflectors on vehicle sides forward of the pair mounted on the rear sides at the corners.

There is probably a spec for very long vehicles and trailers saying amber reflectors every x feet down the side, but never had to check that.

Gordon

Im in a similar boat to R Cubed with my Chevy's reflectors, I've been lead to believe that the metal surround should be circular on a '42 truck, with oval (as per R Cubed's photos) coming in around 43 onwards. I have bought repro Corcorran Browns with circular surround, but now I'm not sure that what I have is right!

So in summary, round = early, oval= late? Or is it the other way round?

H E L P

:nut:

Rivet counting here we go.

I don't know the type as my GMC ORD 7-8-9 isn't here, but I remember checking what went where on my DUKW.

Red reflectors on rear, and rear side corners, amber reflectors on vehicle sides forward of the pair mounted on the rear sides at the corners.

There is probably a spec for very long vehicles and trailers saying amber reflectors every x feet down the side, but never had to check that.

Gordon

I am now getting the jist of this so the conclusion is amber on front corners of fuel tank frame, red rear sides of body and red on rear tailgate.

With that cleared up just need to know what type...

Wait for it - there are six different types.

According to the GMC ORD - 9 (I'm using the Norwegian reprint for the GMC and checking my US original for the DUKW) there are six different types.

All but one have GM part numbers, which you would expect, plus the following manufacturers references;

GM-917075 is GL-415F, amber, front (also listed as standard DUKW fitment in DUKW ORD-7-8-9)

GM-2171325 is KD-33A, amber, front

GM-2118237 front, early CCKWX and CCKW to chassis 41189 (presumably amber? GM own brand maybe)

GM-2118326 rear, early CCKWX and CCKW to chassis 41189 (presumably red? GM own brand maybe)

GM-917064 is GL-415-E, red, rear (also listed as standard DUKW fitment in DUKW ORD 7-8-9)

GM-xxxxxx is KD-333R, red, rear

More stuff about chassis numbers than I can be bothered to type, but GL = Guide Lamp manufacture and KD = K.D. Lamp Co.

So If I had a GMC and it was reflector-less I'd be buying the Guide Lamp ones which I'm sure I've seen as repro in places like Supply Line.

Next contestant please ..... ;)

Edited by Gordon_M
Rivet counting again

Unless you are trying to make the truck an exact replica of the condition it was in when it left the factory it doesn't matter which reflectors are fitted. I have a pic of a 353 in New Guinea being fitted with a wooden body which has King Bee reflectors so that is a late body with early reflectors.