Sherman height

Adrian, Jim or others...

Could you be as kind as to tell me the maximum height of your/a Sherman please?

We have a railway tunnel that we need to drive through and we had a look at it this morning :whistle::whistle::sweat:

- its a beautiful bridge.................

--hope everyone can drive well:wow:

Bridge is up...........

No it aint.

Se what you done with all them negative waves Moriarity.

Does Jack know about the Tigers, you bet your your sweet ass he doesnt, if he did he would be back in that tent factory of his singing Ging Gang Gooly

Edited by Jack

Bridge is up...........

No it aint.

Se what you done with all them negative waves Moriarity.

Does Jack know about the Tigers, you bet your your sweet ass he doesnt, if he did he would be back in that tent factory of his singing Ging Gang Gooly

Think we will have to let some air out the tires then the Shermans should just about make it.

Jack , what width is the bridge ? The M10 is about 10 ft wide , about 2 ft wider than a sherman !!

Hi Adrian - no worries there as it is about 20' wide. I will measure the tunnel height with a tape measure just to make sure. I did take a picture today with my BlackBerry with kev next to it for scale.

If it is too low then we will just use the other part of the track down into the village from our campsite but we would love to use this route because of the sunken lanes :)

Errrrrrrrr Jack I dont think its only the Shermans you need to worry about with regards to HEIGHT my GMC is about 9 foot 6 inches thats 114 inches in English

Are you serious about the bridge height !!!

What about the arch the bridge will be lower the closer to the walls you get.

Keep up the good work

Problem is Mike is that it is June so we will have metal expansion!

Norman E Box and other famous heavy hauliers would have thought of winching over onto its side, skiidding it through the bridgehole, and standing it up again on the other side, but that is probably not a very helpful suggestion is it?

Norman E Box and other famous heavy hauliers would have thought of winching over onto its side, skiidding it through the bridgehole, and standing it up again on the other side, but that is probably not a very helpful suggestion is it?

I think this is do able Mike - let me have a think about it...............I am sure I can talk the tankers into it...............:writing:

Edited by Jack

What you don't want to do when approaching a low bridge, is what Roy Latchford did with the Boughton's steamer "Black Jack". He stopped just before a bridge he hadn't been under before, edged up to it and looked across the chimney top at the bridge and saw he had an inch or to to play with, Now reassured he had the clearance, he pulled the throttle smartly open, causing Black Jack to rear up at the front, breaking off the chimney as it entered the bridge!

Edited by antarmike

The Mack NO is 123 inches (without gun Ring) with gun ring add about another 18 inches.

AUSTINK5gunportee167.jpg

jim

What is it with you guys - why can't you just have a Jeep and been done with it?!

Plan B - I will call up the engineer battalion.....never did like that bridge anyhow.

Hi Adrian - no worries there as it is about 20' wide. I will measure the tunnel height with a tape measure just to make sure. I did take a picture today with my BlackBerry with kev next to it for scale.

If it is too low then we will just use the other part of the track down into the village from our campsite but we would love to use this route because of the sunken lanes :)

Jack , make sure you measure from the highest part of the road bed! And allow for ariels. Dear old MOD decided to fit new boilers in Main builders. Measuered up very carefully, yes it would just fit. So said boiler was deliveered, and the question was asked, 'What happens when the transport skids are fitted under it?:-D

Bocage country eh?

Hey Jack ... we could chop up that truck of yours and make a Cullins cutter for Adrians tank... at least that way it'd be serving a purpose

Just go and wash your mouth mister RIGHT NOW.

But yes that is real bocage country - we up it today in Kevs French post war vehicle and then we slid all the way back down again.

Yaaaaa I know, I know we need someone up front with a Dozer that will sort out the road bed just right..

Does any one have a bigish Dozer :cool2:

Hang on - we have a couple of 105 artillery pieces and a long tom - job sorted I think :cool2: