Dealer prices!

Amphibi boy

Hi all, happy new year!:yay:

Was thinking, why do the dealers allways want so much, yes i can understand if its rare or unique. but when they have lots in stock, surely its better to sell them cheaper (because they get them surplus for next to nothing) than to insist on higher prices, then they wont sell, so will just sit there rotting away! and end up being scrap.:-(

i used to live near a certain dealer at an old rocket site! and i went looking for a stally, he had 2 there at the time, hatches opened filling up with water and mould, his price was high, i offered him less, and he said "no problem, they can stay there" that was some years ago, they are probably scrap now. :cry:

and the same i see with bv 206's, there is a dealer with a field full of them, but he wont sell many as his price is so high, better to sell them to an enthusiast who will look after and care for it! i would love one, but not at his prices! :nono:

just my 2 pennies worth! what do you think!

I think the chances are that they only need to sell a few to get their cash back on a batch that they've bought , also them knowing that there are a few people out there that need some of these vehicles as a mode of transport

My brother works at a garage repairing these and I was shocked at the price for some of the repairs , but then he went and collected the front half behind his Land Rover which I said was a bit overweight , they had to replace the main rear transfer box and drive shaft ,

Edited by phil munga

They are running a business but like all businesses you get good guys and the greedy nut jobs. We have one over here who has a yard full of rust heaps.

mind you with the internet it is quite easy to blacklist or make known a shoddy dealer.

Once you got a reliable dealer, use him and promote him to others. reliable means the bit comes on time and they can communicate. what is it with UK companies you ask for a 1/2 inch combination spanner with detailed specifications and when they eventually email back they say "call me"...... very dificult to get an answer without having to call some sod on the other side of UK.

Case in point, I enquired twice about the WMIK Blindo wheels, with no response so Silverline can keep them....

The answer as usual is something is worth what someone will pay. If dealears won't sell, they go out of buissness. If you find a Muppet that will pay silly money, great. The trouble is what we view as important antiques or worthy of restoration, conservation, others see as junk. Would you leave the Mona Lisa out in feild to rot? :shake:

Hi 50 cal

not hard evidence on paper, but a good friend used to work at a dealer in grantham, at the time when cvrt's were coming out, he had the job of collecting them, and then delivering them, when he told me that for a batch of about 15 they paid something like a couple of grand! (sorry memory fades with age, but it was around that price as i was so gobsmacked) :shocked:

i believe now that withams is stated as being the sole dealer for demob eqt i suppose he could just sit on the stuff as he has no real competition, which like people say is good for business,

oh what it would be like if we all won the lotto! :-D

yeh your quite right actually, now you've said that, it used to be different when there was more dealers getting eqt direct, but maybe because they now do tender.!?

do you know if its the same for the direct sales?

thanks for the correction! consider my hand slapped! :cry:

Funny things dealers! Customers may not realise but the prices vary from customer to customer: rarety will raise the price, if you look rich it goes up, but if the dealer does not like you they go up a lot. There is a 'base line' of how much an item will be worth at the top of the scrap price variation and a dealer would obviously be a mug to sell at a lower price than that: he can just wait until the price goes up and tat it in, no matter how rusty it gets. None of this of course relates to how much they got it for: unlike most of us, they are not doing it as a hobby but to pay the mortgage so they will obviously go for the 'highest price the market will stand'. Customers can frequently go to the same sources as the dealers eg Bosnia, or Bolivia and buy direct but who would want to?

Edited by John Pearson
Typo!