8-ton trailer

Quote: "Side view of 8-ton trailer which often carries small tractor. Location: US. Date taken: 1942"

Source: http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=&imgurl=a92c29c037641122

Who can tell more about this 8-ton trailer, like:

- Who built it?

- What was it's official designation?

- What was it's purpose?

- What type of tractor truck was used to pul it?

- Could it be used as a semi-trailer?

Etc, etc. Who has more pictures of this type of trailer?

Thanks,

Hanno

a92c29c037641122_landing.jpg

Quote: "

- Who built it?

Fruehauf

- What was it's official designation?

Trailer, Full, Flat Bed, 8-Ton

- What was it's purpose?

Corps of Engineers use

- What type of tractor truck was used to pull it?

Anything big enough with service air brakes

- Could it be used as a semi-trailer?

No, TM9-2800 shows it in an image that suggests a turntable coupling rather than a fifth wheel hitch. It has the same tyre size all round too, which suggests it is a unit and not two bits.

Photos - not me, but TM9-2800 is invaluable for this sort of stuff. I think the one you posted an image of is the bigger 16 ton unit - see the other thread.

Thanks,

Hanno

back to sleep

No, TM9-2800 shows it in an image that suggests a turntable coupling rather than a fifth wheel hitch. It has the same tyre size all round too, which suggests it is a unit and not two bits.

Photos - not me, but TM9-2800 is invaluable for this sort of stuff. I think the one you posted an image of is the bigger 16 ton unit - see the other thread.

Excellent, thanks. I thought my library contained enough books by now, but information on trailers is lacking. Found this site http://www.2ndarmored.be/Naamloos3.html with a listing of trailers.

This 8-ton trailer is on there too: http://www.2ndarmored.be/voertuigen/TRAILER/TRAILER%20FULL%20FLAT%20BED%208%20TON.html

H.

Hanno, there is one of these near me and it was used as a semi-trailer behind a Bedford. It still has its plates on but the pictures are in my other 'pooter. I'll post them tomorrow.

I do not know if it was converted to a 'standard' fifth wheel but they did use a Dayton coupling on the Bedford so I assume it was able to seperate from the dolly though with the lack of legs it doesn't look like there was any intention to do so normally.

Hanno, I have a Fruehauf 8 ton trailer here is a couple of photos of it when it arrived at our workshop. I believe it was designed to carry the Caterpillar D4 type dozers as they are just under 8tons.

8ton001.jpg

8ton003.jpg

The trailer in the picture you posted is different to mine ie, drawbar, shape of the swan neck, shape of the rear end etc.

I dont think its a 16ton trailer as that model has 8 wheels accross the rear, where as the 8ton only has 4.

The 16 ton trailer has different tyre sizes front to rear, fronts being 900-20 and rears 825-15.The 8ton runs on 900-20 tyres front and rear.

Jim

Hanno, I have a Fruehauf 8 ton trailer here is a couple of photos of it when it arrived at our workshop. I believe it was designed to carry the Caterpillar D4 type dozers as they are just under 8tons.

The trailer in the picture you posted is different to mine ie, drawbar, shape of the swan neck, shape of the rear end etc.

Thanks Jim,

I guess the differences could be the result of different manufacturers making the same type of trailer, or possibly typical early vs late manufacture differences.

Is the GMC CCKW-352 in the picture the regular tractor or do you use something heavier?

Regards,

Hanno

Hanno, there is one of these near me and it was used as a semi-trailer behind a Bedford. It still has its plates on but the pictures are in my other 'pooter. I'll post them tomorrow.

I do not know if it was converted to a 'standard' fifth wheel but they did use a Dayton coupling on the Bedford so I assume it was able to seperate from the dolly though with the lack of legs it doesn't look like there was any intention to do so normally.

Adrian,

Thanks, I would like to see what that combination looks like, even though it indeed was a full trailer originally.

Is the Bedford a wartime one?

Thanks,

Hanno

Hanno,

the Bedford is long gone but I don't believe it was a wartime vehicle.

The owners have replaced the side rails and fitted ramps, they used it to carry a crawler tractor of some sort.

The plate states it is for 'medium tractor' which was a D7, so perhaps this is a 16 ton trailer though it looks a bit short to me.

The plate also calls it a full trailer so clearly it was not intended to operate as a semi.

eng trailer1.jpg

eng trailer3.jpg

Hi Hanno, the GMC352 was only used to remove the trailer from the lowloader, it will be pulled by my Diamond T 968 cargo which is the correct towing vehicle. I also have a 1943 Caterpillar D4 to put on the trailer to complete the outfit.

The Diamond T has an air operated brake system the same as the trailer.

Jim

The owners have replaced the side rails and fitted ramps, they used it to carry a crawler tractor of some sort.

The plate states it is for 'medium tractor' which was a D7, so perhaps this is a 16 ton trailer though it looks a bit short to me.

The plate also calls it a full trailer so clearly it was not intended to operate as a semi.

Thanks Adrian,

Looks like they turned it into a useful tool. Those side rails look like the reinforce the bed and provide a useful stop for the tractor's tracks.

"Gonna do 'er upper" but in reality to be sold as scrap a few years from now?

Hanno

Hi Hanno, the GMC352 was only used to remove the trailer from the lowloader, it will be pulled by my Diamond T 968 cargo which is the correct towing vehicle. I also have a 1943 Caterpillar D4 to put on the trailer to complete the outfit.

The Diamond T has an air operated brake system the same as the trailer.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Of course you're right, the GMC can be fitted with electric trailer brakes only, isn't it?

Your outfit will be quite a sight! Looking forward to see it out and about.

Hanno

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi folks.. long time since last :)

I was offered this Fruehauf a few days ago. Will go and have a closer look at it sometime this summer. But my problem is I do not have any Diamond T to haul it... and not the proper lisence to drive such a big truck... hmm what to do then.. ??

Would be nice if it could be used with a fifth wheel on a truck.. then I actually could drive it legaly I think... if it combined is not more than 12,5 tonnes including the load..

Rolf

fruehauf2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It is too nice to leave it sitting there Rolf.

It might be a case of buying it and taking it to Beltring, or putting it on MILWEB. It certainly deserves a new home.

Gordon

Hi Gordon and Howard

Yes it is too nice to sit and rot. The bloke who owns it is not into MV's, but he for sure knows what he wants for it. I will try to get there and have a better look at it early next month. And then get some better pictures.

And since I am trying to sell my two GMC's I am stuck with a tiny Chevrolet 1,5 ton so it is out of the question to be able to use the trailer.

So perhaps it should have been brought to Beltring as soon as the ferry starts up once more... That is, the ferry from Bergen to Newcastel..

Here is another picture of the trailer.

Rolf

fruehauf3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi all, it would be great to see these trailers saved, but wouldn't it be a shame to rescue an original piece of kit from WW2, and then convert it into something that didn't exist in reality. Couldn't homes be found with Diamond T owners within the MV community?

It might be nice to see a classic engineers display at events?

Dave.

The 16 ton trailer has different tyre sizes front to rear, fronts being 900-20 and rears 825-15.The 8ton runs on 900-20 tyres front and rear.

Jim

Hi Jim,

How many studs do the 9.00 x 20 wheels have? The reason I ask is that on Adrian's WLF we found two wheels which have much shallower rims than the usual 11:00 x 20. The rims are only 9" deep instead of 11".

Thanks - Mike