Tank hulks at Kirkcudbright Training Area?

tartan-ninja

ajmac

That Churchill looks rather good.....

Its probably one sided -the "good side" photographed- I wouldn't be surprised if what's left of the turret is lying in area facing the guns, similarily to the Sherman -which was a Bovington exhibit the 1960s. Shame the SSSI status prevents recovery although depending on the attitude of the Range authorities the Churchill might be a source of suspension components although-the track looks at full streach, Eddy wakey wakey:D .

Steve

Its probably one sided -the "good side" photographed.... Eddy wakey wakey

That's who I was thinking of! Bogies units, idler and drive sprocket..possibly, as you say it's impossble to say until you're looking at it first hand.

• 9 months later...
That Churchill looks rather good.....so I persume it is not in location anymore :)

It was still there in October and, apart from the turret, pretty complete. As I remember, the other side was pretty shot up though. Apart from the Churchill, I observed a couple of sorry-looking Centurions, the Tortoise, a Conqueror, a Sherman and lots of Comets, condition ranging from complete but shot at, to totally b*ggered. One of the Comets had been cut in half with a gas-axe and the back half was missing; I trust that somebody on this forum is using it to restore a live example....

Here's a photo of the Sherman & Conqueror. I also have a photo of the Churchill, but it doesn't show any more than the photo already posted.

Tanks.jpg

Edited by mtskull

Found another photo I took of the Churchill at Kirkcudbright, showing the other side. There's at least one other Churchill on the range; here's a link to a photo of it on a very interesting website:http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/963591/

2011_0725misc0069.jpg

Edited by mtskull

any churchill pics will always be gratefully received :cool2: the other churchill on your link has plenty of track and wheel assemblies just what i need for mine, shame there's no chance of ever getting them. (i should have bought a jeep)

all the best

rick