Beret badge to beret?

pigdog

Question

Really dumb question but how does one attach the beret badge to the beret? Are you supposed to poke a hole in the cap so the clasp can hook on the half circle board part inside the cap? Is this the English way of doing things?

Thanks-Chris from the non-wearing beret states.

7 answers to this question

If it's a new beret it will have an obvious stitched rectangle on the front which you need to carefully cut a small slot, into which the beret badge slots quite nicely.

Alternatively if the badge has the 2 hoops and pin type fastener then you will have to carefully cut 2 holes into the obvious place on the beret then slot the badge into the beret and slide the pin into the holes from the inside.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. The berets I have dont have any stitched rectangle on the front. The one beret I ordered from the UK has an inside liner but no area on the front as you described. The badge I have is a staybrite badge that just has a clasp/hook. I just cant imagine it staying put for long. I wonder if the soldiers lost them alot during operations.

-Chris

Thanks for the help. The berets I have dont have any stitched rectangle on the front. The one beret I ordered from the UK has an inside liner but no area on the front as you described. The badge I have is a staybrite badge that just has a clasp/hook. I just cant imagine it staying put for long. I wonder if the soldiers lost them alot during operations.

-Chris

The beret you have can't be a current issue one then. Take a look at the pic below and you'll get an idea of the stitched area I mentioned before. The staybrite badges are not to bad at staying put, but they do slip out from time to time. Berets aren't worn for today's current Operations (unless your swanning in Camp Bastion):cool2: For the beret you have I'd just stick it in hot/cold water wack it on your head and shape it, once happy cut a slot into it in the appropriate place and stick your badge in. You could always add a little stitch to hold the badge in place.

d51e_1.JPG

Pigdog,

If you own a Ferret then you may want a beret to go with the era of the vehicle rather than a current issue beret.

The beret I was issued with by the Royal Engineers in 1970-80s was proper Army issue but did not have a strip sown in to the front, and so as mentioned above I had to cut a small hole in the front for the clasp/hook. To keep it in place the hook was squashed and bent to reduce the gap and help keep it in place.

I never lost a cap badge though I did 'acquire' a few extra berets which allowed me to hand in the spare and keep my old favourite beret which I still have!

Edited by LarryH57

Pigdog,

I never lost a cap badge though I did 'acquire' a few extra berets which allowed me to hand in the spare and keep my old favourite beret which I still have!

Hear hear. Never hand in your own hat if you can avoid it.................