Birthday visit to IWM Duxford & RAF Hendon

Jessie The Jeep

I got old on Friday just gone, catching up to Jack, and turning 40. Rather than an expensive party and a hangover, I decided on a trip with a few mates to two great aircraft museums, IWM Duxford in Cambridge, and the RAF Museum at Hendon. I was rather disappointed at Duxford as the 1/2 inch of snow resulted in them closing all the hangars, except 'Airspace', on Health and Safety grounds. Even though the normal entry fee is £16 ( £30+ on event days ), they couldn't afford a bag of road grit to spread out on the pathways.

I'm a regular visitor to Duxford, but hadn't been to Hendon for seven years, and there had been several changes. On my last visit, the Milestones building was still being built and the Graham White hangar hadn't been moved to its new location. This was a completely different experience with all the hangars open, friendly staff, cleared snow and gritted pathways; and Hendon was a Free Museum. :thanx:

I'm still busy sizing and uploading some of the 1000+ photos taken over the weekend, but here's a few to keep you going for now.

Royal Aircraft Factory BE2

be2a.jpg

Fokker DVII

fokker_d7f.jpg

Hawker Hart II

hart10.jpg

Focke-wulf Fw190

fw190m.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got all the pics I wanted uploaded now, so time to start posting. We'll start off in the Grahame-White Hangar with WW1, although a few of the WW1 aircraft are displayed in other halls such as the Bomber Hall and Milestones of Flight building. It was hard to shoot the aircraft by the doors due to the glare coming in the windows. I was using high F numbers and long exposures to get the depth of field in the dull hangar, so I ended up trying to compose the pictures looking away from the doors rather than have strong back lighting.

Avro 504

avro504k.jpg

avro504j.jpg

The remains of Gloster Gladiator N5628, in the Historic Hangars at Hendon. Damaged by German air attack while based on the frozen lake Lesjaskogsvatnet on 28 April 1940 and abandoned the same day. It eventually sank in May and was recovered in 1968 by a diving team from RAF Cranwell. ( from Wiki )

gladiator22.jpg

gladiator23.jpg