St Mawes battery

A few pics of the battery you can't normally have access to. Unfortunately I couldn't negotiate access to the inside of the underground structures so had to satisfy myself with photos taken through windows in to darkened places at times. Some surprising and interesting details showed up! The battery has been there since Napoleonic times but has been repeatedly upgraded at important times and so shows evidence from both world wars. Now in possession of EH and although obviously maintained there are no plans that I am aware of to open it to the general public. If anyone else knows different let us know.

sm1.JPG

sm2.JPG

sm3.JPG

sm4.JPG

sm6.JPG

sm7.JPG

sm8.JPG

sm9.JPG

sm10.JPG

sm11.JPG

sm12.JPG

sm13.JPG

sm14.JPG

sm15.JPG

sm16.JPG

sm17.JPG

sm18.JPG

sm19.JPG

I love it around there. This is St Mawes from the other side.

IMG_3226.jpg

Just down from Pendennis (and very close to the water) are the remains of these batterys:

IMG_3252.jpg

And another, partially dismantled. Swords into ploughshears (or is that picnic tables).

IMG_3244.jpg

I cant help but think that (assuming that the casements had roofs and more extensive sides) that the crews would get very wet in a storm.