Didcot Ordinance Depot Pillbox

I was looking at a site the other day about Pillboxes, and it said that there weren't any listed for Oxfordshire.

I haven't got a clue what type this one is, it's square, concrete, has three gun slits and a doorway. It's half burried and has earth on top. It's about a foot thick and the sign says something like No3 Police something or other.

I found this on the net, dated 1939 it's the Byelaws for the Central Ordinance Depot. It has a map of the outline of the site. If you look at the top where the right of way goes from B-C the Pillbox is around where the "way" is written on the map. It's the only one I've seen and is accessible to the public. As mentioned I will get some pictures asap.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4FE3AC96-9D79-4F54-95DC-38144A356CF7/0/didcot_central_ordnance_depot.pdf

Edited by LoggyDriver

I was looking at a site the other day about Pillboxes, and it said that there weren't any listed for Oxfordshire.

If you go on to Google Earth and get the Defence of Britain 'add-on' you will find there seems to be a few more pillboxes etc in that area. To the North of Didcot, one at Sutton Courtenay and another at Appleford to name two of the nearer ones. Away to the east are plenty along a stop line running south from Shillingford along the line of the river. Could keep you busy for a while ! :)