Picture of the week 19 June 2006

Jack

saracenstump.jpg

***it is on the front page for those of us who haven't changed our book marks yet, just click on the picture banner at the top of these page as this will always take you to the home page.

Cheers.

Jack

Saracen ACV: marvellous.

Pull out the penthouse struts, tie the canvas, unload six foot table, chairs, heater, map board, handset extensions, let the officers work in the mud while the operators keep their boots clean. Keep fingers OFF the C13 High Power (or C11/R210) and make sure nobody fries by touching the vehicle while the set is sending.

I spent many a happy (or otherwise) hour sat in the back of one of these running the battlegroup command net until we got them replaced by Sultans. The six-wheeled Saracen was wonderful sat inside because you never ever felt a bump (and my experience in them and Ferrets taught me how to take speed ramps flat out without taking off). It was like a battleship cruising in calm waters. The Sultan on the other hand, every gear change or bump caused the whole thing to rock like a Contessa 28 in a Force 8. Having represented The Army in regattas, I have to say sitting facing sideways in a Sultan with no horizon for reference made me more seasick than yacht racing. Very pleased to be given a Ferret command, head out breathing in the fresh German Winter air, then a Sultan command.

i feel like i know every inch of the saracens bodywork after spendin the day last weekend rubbing down the saracen outside the soldiers of gloucester museum ready for painting in 2 weeks time.

believe me there is a lot of metal work.

nice photo jack

ta berni