Vehicle Covers

Larry Hayward

Question

Forgetting the pros & cons of using a cover on an MV that it stored outside during the winter, am I right in thinking that if the vehicle is parked on a public road, that the owner can be fined if the Tax disk & registration plate is not visible? I seem to rember reading this in a magazine or newspaper somewhere?

8 answers to this question

So can I take it that its OK to cover a vehicle up on the road?

Obviously if the authorities want to take a look to see its got a registration plate and tax disc I do not mind- as long as they put the cover back on and secure it - but I was under the impression that it was an offence not to display these items, so if there was a vehicle cover on it could be argued that they were not on display and a fine would be payable - the same as putting your new tax disc in the glove compartment of your car!

Thanks guys for your suggestions. In truth I am more interested in the legal aspect of this - to warn members - as we are the people with odd looking vehicles (as far as the public are concerned) and the ones who are likely to lay up a vehicle for the winter - and as we have seen its us the law abiding citizens who are likely to be targeted by Police & Wardens, whereas the local 'asbo' just carries on driving without tax and insurance as before!

Does any one actually make covers for our type of vehicle??

Quite a few vehicles have a cover listed in the CES. If you're lucky you can find one and they're very handy. I have the correct cover for the Spartan and it's excellent, all the ropes tie down exactly where you'd want them to.

Chris