My 353 Closedcab has arrived......

Chris Warne

Last minute change of plans and the 353 I purchased in France made the trip to the UK on Friday/Saturday. Thanks for Rex for the info on Richard Long Transport who had available capacity on a low-loader!

Thanks again to Rex, I've sourced some parts I'll need, including upper door hinges (present ones are home made!) but I'm looking for lower door hinges, any condition, complete or just parts of - so I can fix them up or remake them. Anyone got any anywhere??

You will notice that there's something not right with the body - bolts!! It's had repairs in the past and it seems that some of the bed crossmembers have been bolted to the sides! Not sure of the reasoning behind this as it's not in every crossmemeber/side location and there's no evidence of any failed welds. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Serial number is CCKW 353 99916A2 which puts it around Late June/very Early July 1942 delivery

353bs.jpg

353cs.jpg

353ds.jpg

353es.jpg

353fs.jpg

Edited by Chris Warne
pictures added

Thanks Jack, I'm happy with it. I'll be stripping the cab as there's a few small areas of rust (not rot!) at the lower corners of the bulkhead (usual place) and the door hinges are not original, but have just secured NOS items from the states.

One thing I will learn during this restoration is carpentry. Metal I'm ok with, but there's a fair amount of wood on this truck and to do it right, I'll need to replace it all!

The wood can be of several types, California White Oak (can be substituted with British oak), most hardwoods were used during the war, not only Oak. But not birch or pine for example.

I suppose that your Jimmie, being an early one, would have had oak planking. You don't have to use whole planks, i bought kitchen benches ( 90 x 180 centimeters = 35,4 x 70,9 inches ) made from tongue-and-groove oak, for my late model (Febr 1945) Dodge WC51. The planking was always painted OD anyway, and not varnished. You can substitute for another type of wood, but the grain of the oak shows through the paint.

Remember to re-use all metal strips and metal parts in general. These are extremely difficult to find, in most cases impossible.

Keep those pictures coming.

You've got yourself a really sweet ride, congrats.

Live well - and prosper....

Goran N

Lidingo

Sweden

The wood can be of several types, California White Oak (can be substituted with British oak), most hardwoods were used during the war, not only Oak. But not birch or pine for example.

I suppose that your Jimmie, being an early one, would have had oak planking. You don't have to use whole planks, i bought kitchen benches ( 90 x 180 centimeters = 35,4 x 70,9 inches ) made from tongue-and-groove oak, for my late model (Febr 1945) Dodge WC51. The planking was always painted OD anyway, and not varnished. You can substitute for another type of wood, but the grain of the oak shows through the paint.

Agree with that! Oak and ash easy to find but make sure oak is seasoned (as it oak can be over 50% moisture,aa ash mid season is just around 35%). And the much prized wooden steering was also OD.

Looking forward to more pictures!!

Cheeers Lloyd, welcome along anytime - you can collect your jeep parts too!

The wood of the troop seats/side rails is way past its best - cracked, some breaks, etc.... so I plan to replace it all to get a clean/new look.

Luckily we have an 'onsite' chippy and he's offered to help out as it's not just my truck, but my mates - he's got no wood at all!

This was going to be just a tidy up, repaint, etc.... but having gone through things a bit closer, the cab and bed will be coming off over the next few months. Sheet metal is all good, but cab needs some prior repairs re-doing (bubba welder got to work I guess - just untidy) and sandblasting will make sure it's solid beofre refitting it. Bed will be sandblasted after the bolt holes are welded up to get that back to spec, and whilst the chassis is exposed, that will get a full clean/rubbing down and repaint.

Plan is to debut 'at a show near you' around May next year, and will be marked up as 9th USAAF 391st BG(M).

I've sourced a load of new items already, but I'm desperately after a drivers door. Any original condition will do (rust, dents, all ok as long as it's not had the bottom skin replaced), and this will save replacing the bubba welded panel on the bottom 5 inches of my existing door!! I've got a NOS passenger door already - just can't trace a drivers side! Any help/leads appreciated.

I've got a NOS passenger door already - just can't trace a drivers side! Any help/leads appreciated.

I had a N.O.S. driver's door from a very helpful French forum member whose name escapes me and I can't find the thread - he advertised in the sale section (last year I think). An equally helpful forum member brought it over for me :) I'll pm you his name in a moment. He can probably put you in touch.

Nah Jacks joined the elite "IGOTTAGETANAUTOCAR" club......

He missed one on ebay recently, but I just didn't have the heart to tell him. Looks like the tinwork has been badly restored by someone with a fetish for body filler and it needs a good paint job.....

ebay Autocar.JPG

Nah Jacks joined the elite "IGOTTAGETANAUTOCAR" club......he is no more for us mere mortals.......of the small vehicle world.....:-(

Regards

Lloyd

*cough - once you own a Man Truck - it is for life, not just for Christmas you know. I will still talk to you thou Lloyd:coffee:

He missed one on ebay recently, but I just didn't have the heart to tell him. Looks like the tinwork has been badly restored by someone with a fetish for body filler and it needs a good paint job.....

Oh man - you could of told me! You have my mobile number too.

Ha, no. This one will be OD and marked as 391st BG, 9th USAAF

I'm now searching for a 1944 Chevrolet G7107 (G506 w/o winch) to go with my 353. I thought while I'm buying parts for it, I may aswell buy enough for 2! I have a lead on one in the US, but anything in Europe would be good!

Ha, no. This one will be OD and marked as 391st BG, 9th USAAF

I'm now searching for a 1944 Chevrolet G7107 (G506 w/o winch) to go with my 353. I thought while I'm buying parts for it, I may aswell buy enough for 2! I have a lead on one in the US, but anything in Europe would be good!

Hiya Chris,

not sure if you are aware, but with regard to parts there are a lot of differences between Chevys and Jimmies, in fact it's a bit of a minefield at times :shocked:

Of course the other problem is that once you have the Chevy, you'll want to sell the 'man's truck' :thumbsup:

Hiding under the table, in readiness for the incoming barrage...............

Hiya Chris,

not sure if you are aware, but with regard to parts there are a lot of differences between Chevys and Jimmies, in fact it's a bit of a minefield at times :shocked:

Of course the other problem is that once you have the Chevy, you'll want to sell the 'man's truck' :thumbsup:

Hiding under the table, in readiness for the incoming barrage...............

you had better hide well then matey :-D