.... my Clansman intercom makes ..

eniac

.. a lot of accustic feedback

at first I have to say sorry for my bad english. School ist over for years.

i'm Stefan from germany and I fitted a clansman IB3 with two CB2 in my

Swiss Armee Pinzgauer. Hunting for two of the ANR Headsets counts me

3 monty but now the system is complete and installed in the Back of my Pinz.

The first test take place on an trip through the western Alps. And here is

my Problem. I use the standard ANR headset

(figure 17 -> http://www.ferret-afv.org/manuals/clansman_wiring_harness_and_control_boxes_description.pdf )

and if I turn my head with the set's on I get some hum noise. I think it is

an accustic feedback from the ANR system. Dose anybody have an Idea

to get rid of that :argh: noise ??

Dose anyone have the operation manual of this system (ANR) ?

for any help I would be grateful

Hi Tony,

Gain is in three o'clock position. Don't think it is to high.

The idea with the wind deadener ist good. I will try that tomorrow.

Thanx for your reply.

Wind deadener will cure the majority of your problems - if you haven't got the right ones you should be able to get them from C&S Tat - http://www.emlra.org/club%20shop/cstat.htm

Or soft sponge and gaffer tape. The main reason you get feed back is the microphone picking up noise from the speacker, then retransmitting adn so on round and round and round. Extrenious wind noise will cause this. Check the earth screens are correctly fixed. You may be getting interfrence from the vehicle electrics.

Observation.

CVR(T) arrived in the early '70s with a hybrid radio harness to offer Clansman functionality with Larkspur equipment (because MOD could not afford to give CVR(T) to the Royal Armoured Corps and Clansman to the whole army), including for example Live I/C through the helmet boom mike. This allowed a working A-set in the left ear, pressel-activated; monitor B-set in the right ear and Live I/C also in the right ear (with no need for for pressel activation because it was live). This was the commander's normal working position. Gunner / operator would reverse A- and B-set on his junction box (work B and monitor A) IF there were two nets active. As a former Battlegroup HQ Control Signaller, unless the tactical situation required (for example being attached to an Infantry Combat Team) I always somehow managed to have BG Command Net on the B-set so I could get the bigger picture. In the sabre troops, Combat Team Command Net was always on the A-set (In FHQ, BG Command Net was on A and CT on B: in RHQ, Divisional Command Net on A and BG on B). Troop chatter nets were frowned upon but if a troop needed isolated comms for any reason, they could switch to an alternative CT Command Net frequency and work undisturbed.

My point is that always on CVR(T) and always on Clansman, Live I/C was available in the right ear. For the majority of a period of seven years when in the field I had Live I/C with the wind whistling in my right ear (with or without sponge mike cover) as our Recce Regt hurtled back and forth across the North German Plain and the 1 (BR) Corps FLOT.

I transferred out in 1982 and very shortly after posting to another unit, I was subjected to a hearing test which revealed that my hearing was reduced by 85% in my right ear. I was blissfully unaware of this, but have always used it as an excuse for not hearing anything my wife says. A couple of years later toward the end of that tour I was subjected to the same test again, which revealed that my hearing in my right ear was now at 100%.

The only conclusion I have ever been able to draw is that the wind whistling over a boom mike into the right ear can cause long term (but mercifully reversible) damage to that ear.

Make of this what you will.

Edited by AlienFTM
Typos and clarity

• 2 years later...