Pillboxes Lowsy point Barrow-in-Furness

Nice Pics.

Have you been to the various structures on the south end of Walney. Theres a number within the nature reserve. I went with my son to take some pics but it was nesting time for the gulls, we were each issued with a cane to defend ourselves with, it was like a seen from The Birds, so no photos.

Reconise the ones around Lindale, driven past them many times.

Jerry

Home of the Flookburgh steam gathering

Cark was a wartime fighter aerodrome, opening in 1941. Once the threat of invasion had receded, it was used for Flying Training Command, and as a staff Pilot Training Unit. What we know today as the RAF Mountain Rescue came here in 1944 from around the corner at RAF Millom, seeking out those aircraft which had crashed on the lakeland fells. The M.R.U started life in 1942, moving when flying training ceased.

Cark closed when WWII ended in 1945, but re-opened in later years for private use. One runway is still in use by the North west parachute center.

Watch Office for Night Fighter Stations 12096/41, W/451/41 . Now a private residence

IMG_2892.jpg

Fighter Satellite Watch Office, 14404/40

IMG_2895.jpg

Battle H.Q.

IMG_2891.jpg

Transformer plinth

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

Original cable? in the transformer plinth floor

IMG_2848.jpg

Flight offices

IMG_2853.jpg

Dispersal pens Hurricane type (with revetting still present) 1 of 7 extant on site

IMG_2839.jpg

Sleeping shelter

IMG_2881.jpg

M.G. range

IMG_2856.jpg

F.C. Construction (mushroom ) pillbox

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

Ammo store

IMG_2830.jpg

Bellman hanger

IMG_2909.jpg

Gas building

IMG_2899.jpg

Parachute store

IMG_2898.jpg

Main stores

IMG_2902.jpg

M.T. bay

IMG_2894.jpg

Ambulance bay

IMG_2897.jpg

One of many Stanton shelters

Picture092.jpg

Phil

Sounds like a trip out then!

Don't know what is happening up their at the moment as there were plans to turn it into some eco village / holiday resort, but that was a couple of years ago. Not heard much in the last 18 months.

Another site that I have been to but not realy explored is Cark airfield, only realy had a scan round during car boot sales and steam gathering.

Would need to be better weather than today though:drive:

Jerry

All F/W24 Type pillboxes nothing inside of note so external pics only

Pictured from North to South

Never seen a pillbox from this angle before !!

IMG_2755_1.jpg

IMG_2758_1.jpg

IMG_2760_1.jpg

Phil

Wow tiped on to the beach in one piece, got a thought about these :) What would the weight of one of these be :shake: would be really cool to have one at home, you know as a preservation thing. Obviously the one on its end is dangerous and should be removed to my garden to save someone being crushed !!!!!!!!!

Your thoughts :cool2:

would be really cool to have one at home, you know as a preservation thing. Obviously the one on its end is dangerous and should be removed to my garden to save someone being crushed !!!!!!!!!

Your thoughts :cool2:

I totally agree :D

And it is possible. A number of pillboxes (bunkers) were moved to the National War And resistance Museum at Overloon, the heaviest was 200 tons IIRC.

See http://www.bunkerpictures.nl/pictures/diversen/museum%20overloon/aanvang.html

H.

And back in 2007, at Weert, The Netherlands, a pre-WW2 pillbox was moved off the premises to a neighbour one's. One really wanted to get rid of this pillbox, but could not demolish it, because it is a listed historical building. But his neighbour gladly saw it coming as a garden shed and €12000 was spent on moving it to his backyard.

See http://www.hartvannederland.nl/nederland/limburg/2007/spectaculaire-verhuizing/

H.