WW2 Battle for America railway Station Europe

Morris C8

I wonder if he ment Deurne as that is next to America. I think the last photo was taken outside Deurne on the bend of the road Kanaalweg [canal road] that runs near the railway line. You have to zoom in close to see the canal on the Google map. Dank u wel Jors for your help. on one of the photos that came with the other ones a bedford has a 62 number on it, [2nd Inf Bde / 3 infantry battalion ? Armd Rgt ? ] shame its not in colour. Deuren was liberated on 24 Sept 1944.

Edited by Morris C8
more info

I love pictures like this as they really do create lots of questions. For example what are the men doing in the last picture (laying another roadway?) on post number five and what vehicle is that in the bottom right-hand corner?

While also providing interesting information on bits of WW2 that people didn't know about. Cheers for posting them :thumbsup:

I love pictures like this as they really do create lots of questions. For example what are the men doing in the last picture (laying another roadway?) on post number five and what vehicle is that in the bottom right-hand corner?

While also providing interesting information on bits of WW2 that people didn't know about. Cheers for posting them :thumbsup:

Have to agree smithy, it is stuff on the 'fringes' of war/images that interest me............

On post No 5. the L/cpl DR could be an MP with a stengun as you can just see the butt. i think the wood planks cover a smaller canal or ditch as the original one was not good with this amount of traffic, Tanks, Brengun carriers, trucks Ect.

The station Building in the photo was put up in 1894 but closed in 1936, it was used as a school and in 1970 it was pulled down. Thats why i like collecting photos as you can see much more info in them and now that you can inlarge them on a pc you see even more info.

I never knew there was a place in Holland called America untill i bought the photos.

Edited by Morris C8

On post No 5. the L/cpl DR could be an MP with a stengun as you can just see the butt. i think the wood planks cover a smaller canal or ditch as the original one was not good with this amount of traffic, Tanks, Brengun carriers, trucks Ect.

The station Building in the photo was put up in 1894 but closed in 1936, it was used as a school and in 1970 it was pulled down. Thats why i like collecting photos as you can see much more info in them and now that you can inlarge them on a pc you see even more info.

I never knew there was a place in Holland called America untill i bought the photos.

Thanks very much for the added information. Anybody like to hazard a guess what vehicle that is, with the white star on, right in the bottom right-hand corner of the second pic on post number five which you have already talked about?

I have put more of the photo of the truck and in the background of the Bedford truck photo you can see [ just ] it from the other side. I think it might be a Dennis? as the mudguard looks the same and the wood on the side as well, to small to be a Matador.