MOT'd in March 06 and MOT'd again today!

Jessie The Jeep

This might make you chuckle....... The new computerised MOT system is supposed to make things easier!!

At the end of March, I put the jeep through its first MOT in my ownership, and it passed ok. This was the first time it was tested on the new computer system.

A few weeks ago, I got a letter from the DVLA saying there was a difference between the MOT and logbook records. Could I please fill out the form provided with the correct manufacturer, chassis number etc etc....... So I did and sent it back.

A few days ago I got a phone call asking what the chassis number was, and did I really get it off the vehicle. I said I did, and confirmed the number.

So the new log book arrives, with the jeep called a Hutchkis ( not Hotchkiss ) and the chassis numbers were all there, just not in the right order! The original log book at least had the chassis number correct!

Here's were it gets good! I check the MOT certificate, and find they copied the chassis number down wrong from the old hand written MOT, so I take the jeep and MOT etc back to be altered.

Because of the new computer system, the records couldn't be altered! so the jeep would have to go through a new MOT.........

BUT..........

The computer wouldn't accept the jeep as needing and MOT until another two years time, because the MOT certificate and log book said that the Jeep was first registered in the UK, in April 2005 ( when I bought it ), and so didn't need any MOT for three years from that date!!!!!!!!

Well obviously it did, or I couldn't get the log book corrected, so they had to put the thing back through a complete MOT, using the original manufacture date, before the computer would accept it. With the new computer system, even the time taken performing the MOT is apparently logged with the DVLA to reduce fraud.

Eventually I came out of the garage with the correct paperwork, so now I can get the DVLA to amend the log book AGAIN, without it throwing a wobbler because it doesn't match!

Steve

Interesting!

When the computerised MOT system was first announced I had an idea that it would cockup things for MV owners and one un-answered question I have is whether it is possible to take your MV in early for an MOT, and if it fails still have the remaining period to put it right. My Lightweight has an MOT expiry in mid December, which is a bit to cold for working on it. So if I take it in for a test at the end on October, will I be turned away or will it allow me to bring forward the MOT and then have October each year as the expiry?

The new system's; a joke-I've got a series 3 land rover-not exactly a rare MV, but it didn't show up on the system (no honestly it's not a defender) and it took about 15-20 mins to decide what should go into the computer. I'd hate to think what would happen if a really rare vehicle went in :roll:

one un-answered question I have is whether it is possible to take your MV in early for an MOT, and if it fails still have the remaining period to put it right.

Well you used to be able to. Unless of course the fail was so bad that the tester marked the vehicle as dangerous to drive. But this as almost certainly changed since computerisation.

I don't think you have to wait for the current MOT to run out before booking a new test. If you think about it when you buy a second hand car the garage normally puts 12 months ticket on it even if it had 3 or 4 months left to run on the old one.

Regards

Richard

Looks like getting an MOT exempt vehicle was a wise move then!!! :D:D:D

but that's no excuses for not keeping then tip-top! :wink: :lol:

Saying that I would never take one of my vehicles for a road worthiness test again. For a start the tester tries to make out your doing something wrong and underhand by having it test exempt. ( or at least the one I got did!) And secondly it's very poor value. A normal 3 axle rigid test is about £54 and you get a pass certificate if its all good. A road worthiness test is about £65 and you get nothing not even a scrap of paper to say it's OK!!

Regards

Richard

i have had people ask me why something so big & old doesn't need an mot when their small car does & i always ask apart from an mot when did they last check their tyres, brake pads/drums, do an oil change etc... the answer is nearly always never.

i normally rest my case at that point.

an mot does make a lot of drivers lazy as they use it to tell them whats wrong & then only put those things right even if they know other things need doing where as the vast majority of mv owners wouldn't dream of taking their vehicle out on the road unless they were completly satisfied it was in A1 condition.

bits may fall off but at least most have the knowledge of how to put them back on again :lol:

cheers

Berni

Looks like getting an MOT exempt vehicle was a wise move then!!! :D:D:D

but that's no excuses for not keeping then tip-top! :wink: :lol:

This is oh-so-true... But then - if someone wasn't prepared to put the hours and the blood (*) into maintaining their chosen vehicle as close to an A1 state as possible they likely wouldn't have bought it in the firstplace :D:D (this does not include the "rich-kid" fraternity who got something bought by mum and dad and have no idea what the word Maintenance means)

(*) Dunno if it's just me - but any mechanical project I've ever worked on has always resulted in a considerable number of cuts/gashes and attendant loss of the red stuff!! - being a JW now this is probably not a wise move :oops:

being a JW now this is probably not a wise move[/i] :oops:

In that case, you might want to consider saving any of your own that you spill from now on!

Steve

:D:D:D Be a bit pointless these days - far too many drugs in there and not enough alcohol!!!! Definitely not enough alcohol.......