Bedford RL info wanted

Eastblock

I may be going to view a Beford RL soon (fingers crossed). Since I know very little about lorries in general and even less about old British lorries what are the things to look out for? Are there any spares that are unobtanium?

Talking of spares, I know where a varied batch wil be coming on the market. Anyone intrested PM me, Forum users first option.

Think of it as a bigger version of a SIII Landrover, simple chassis, hydraulic brakes, cart spings, live axles, 4 speed gearbox, 2 speed remote transfer box rather than bolted to the gearbox, 12v electrics.

The cabs rot badly, the pikeys steal the gearboxes, you bash your left elbow on a cab seam when changing from 1st to 2nd. The chassis is extremely flexible by design to give a good cross country performance, so beware of fitting a rigid body as it will have a hard time. The army ones have a steel body, the AFS ones have a slightly longer wooden body. Access to the engine is good as the engine cover opens in to the cab, while a clutch change can be done in half an hour including tea breaks.

Theoretically there should be no problem with mechanical spares as the AFS kept a huge amount which were sold off after the GGs were released.

I like the Landrover anallogy, but I think it's more Series 2 rather than Series 3, the cab's just that bit more basic.

I've only had mine for a short time and information is turning up gradually. I'm going to fit a 330 out of a later TK in my AFS one but in hynesight I wish I had managed to find the military version as they're equipped for towing and I've got to source all these bits. I will most probably end up buying one with a rotten cab to get all the parts I need.

I'm currently trying to find a reasonably priced manual and parts book, without much success, if I manage it I'll see if I can get them copied and get one to you, should help.

I like the Landrover anallogy, but I think it's more Series 2 rather than Series 3, the cab's just that bit more basic.

Quite so, and no synchro on 1st.

I'm currently trying to find a reasonably priced manual and parts book, without much success, if I manage it I'll see if I can get them copied and get one to you, should help.

I remember when Vass had stillages of both, I bet they ended up on a bonfire.

http://www.vintagemvmanuals.co.uk/ are showing 1st generation copies, have you tried them?

Edited by radiomike7

Thanks for the info. I'm used to no synchro on 1st from my Gaz.

I just got some more pictures and the old tinworm has had a good go on the cab and doors. It will require quite a bit of metal bashing and welding. I'm not sure if the seller will lower the price though.

There are a some nice ones on Ebay but sadly outside of my budget (unless someone wants to make a joint offer with me on the nice pair that is for sale)

Think of it as a bigger version of a SIII Landrover, simple chassis, hydraulic brakes, cart spings, live axles, 4 speed gearbox, 2 speed remote transfer box rather than bolted to the gearbox, 12v electrics.

The cabs rot badly, the pikeys steal the gearboxes, you bash your left elbow on a cab seam when changing from 1st to 2nd. The chassis is extremely flexible by design to give a good cross country performance, so beware of fitting a rigid body as it will have a hard time. The army ones have a steel body, the AFS ones have a slightly longer wooden body. Access to the engine is good as the engine cover opens in to the cab, while a clutch change can be done in half an hour including tea breaks.

Theoretically there should be no problem with mechanical spares as the AFS kept a huge amount which were sold off after the GGs were released.

Sounds about right.. Add to it if you are over 5' tall and forget to duck you will head butt the door frame getting in, the battery(s) are under the passenger sheet and the steel tray that carries the seat has been known to slip, shorting out the battery(s) resulting in a jet of sparks from between the passengers legs and said passenger bailing straight out at around 30 mph.... Oh -and they are noisier than a S2A - you can hear one coming from a goodly way away - esp. off-road.... Great fun to drive though and capable of keeping up with modern traffic - just remember to think and look ahead as they aren't capable of slowing down with modern traffic...