Scorpion 76mm

Grasshopper

Tony,

I think you mean ROF Nottingham

Thanks Richard, Royal Ordanace Factory Nottingham. Could be worth checking with Royal Armouries, or National Army Musuem. They'd know the exact manufacturer, maybe be possible to get a manufacture date from serial number. Is he going for blank firer? Intresting, keep us posted.

well i hope he does not live in East sussex took me 3 years of hassle before they finally gave in

Thats because the head of the Firearms Office at HQ Lewes, is a Ex-Traffic Divison Inspector. A right Tos*er called (Best I leave it blank!) who knows very little about Firearms. But THINKS he does! He once enquired about Expanding Ammo from my Father who is an Acknowledged Expert in the Firearms field. He wanted to know why hollowpoints expanded & 'Normal' Ball ammo doesnt?? My Father explained, that ALL Ammo expands!!

What he meant was to enquire about HOLLOW POINTED ammo. Which DOES expand at a greater rate!

If you cannot get a .303" variation on your cert, then just put in for a 7.7mm Variation. (Metric Equivelent of imperial .303") & they grant it!

Marvelous how society is protected by people who dont even know thier own rules!! :yay:

i fully agree with you the guy has gone as i have been informed thank god

mind you he passed for me to keep 15 lbs of black powder

can they make all East Sussex part of kent please !!!!!!!

Actually, it the local authority who grant Black Powder licences. The problem is not the LAW on Firearms, that's quite straightforward. It's the GUIDELINES, ie 'make up as you go along' that are the problem.

When I lived in Hampshire the P HQ granted me an explosives 'purchase and hold' permit which I requested was for black powder only. Cert duly arrices with about 15-20 UN ref codes listed on it. Never queried it at the time.

Roll on 5 years and I relocated to sunny Wilts and re-applied. They came back with the question, 'Do you really require all of these if you are only needing BP?'.

Cert was delivered with 3-4 UN numbers on it. I haven't the foggiest what the others were :-\

Actually, it the local authority who grant Black Powder licences. The problem is not the LAW on Firearms, that's quite straightforward. It's the GUIDELINES, ie 'make up as you go along' that are the problem.

Another one you have to wath out for is 'It's Force Policy NOT to tc, Etc'.

Challange then with 'Force Policy is NOT Law'!

EVERYONE has to abide by the Law, INCLUDING the Police (Except it seems sometimes they think they above the law! :coffee:

I have had a Saladin 76 mm gun on a firearms certificate for about 15 years. When I first requested it, someone from the Firearms dept of the local police phoned me up and told me I had left out the decimal point between the 7 and the 6!

It is due for renewal in Jan 2010 and I was thinking of trying to get it off cert on the basis that it is an obsolete calibre and no ammo is available comercially any more. Anyone know if that is true?

It is due for renewal in Jan 2010 and I was thinking of trying to get it off cert on the basis that it is an obsolete calibre and no ammo is available comercially any more. Anyone know if that is true?

Plenty of 76mm still about John..

Hypothetical question: If my friend (with the appropriate firearms certificate) purchased a 76mm for my Scorpion and we fitted it to the vehicle, what would be the legality of me taking it to a show without him being present? I understand that the firing pin can be removed.

(I am currently looking into getting a firearms cert for myself once i move house in the near future.)

It would be illeagal just as the smoke dischargers would be if they are not deactivated.

Having said this the chances of ever being challenged are very remote but obviouisly this is at your own risk.

The Licence for my Saladin required the gun striker mechanisum to be stored in a gun cabinet when not in use. In some counties they insisted that the entire vehicle is stored in a high security building.

I totally confused my local police force by putting down the full military designation of the weapons I wanted rather than the calibre in mm. They ended up sending me a open licence for any weapon.

If the barrel is smothbore, so it counts as a shotgun, it can be 'lent' for up to 72 hours before going on a certificate. If the barrel is rifled, no , it should if taken out be in the control of the licence holder, WHO must have the licence ON THIER PERSON. The main thing Police are concerned with in cases like this are the firing mechanisms. That has to be in a secure cabinet . Bit difficult getting a Firearms Cabinet big enough for a Scorpion. :-D

To get a Section 1 Firearms now takes about 18 months. You have to be a memebr of an approved club for minmum one year, and shoot regulary. Being Trumpton, try the Civil Service Sports & Social Club. they have attached clubs, and subsidised mebership

Edited by Tony B

I have a vaguely amusing story about the time HMS Plymouth was visited by the local firearms officer police when she was in Glasgow. (She was privately owned at this point)

He was here to inspect the ship and ensure we were not keeping anything dodgy onboard

We led him around the ship, showing him the different weapons, eg 20 machine cannon (deactivated), the Limbo mortars, Sea Cat launchers etc. He hummed and ahhed, ticking things off on his clipboard and scribbling things down.

When we finally reached the bow, he leaned on the front of the gun turret and asked in all seriousness where we were hiding the 4.5 inch guns.

With an equally straight face I pointed out the two big black barrels sticking out of the front of the big grey turret he was using as a leaning post.

To get a Section 1 Firearms now takes about 18 months. You have to be a memebr of an approved club for minmum one year, and shoot regulary. Being Trumpton, try the Civil Service Sports & Social Club. they have attached clubs, and subsidised mebership

Not for Artillery (section 1) in Essex... 6 weeks... don't have to be a member of any gun club...

• 2 months later...

If you look on the top face of the breech ring a set of information should be engraved there. This includes the registation number, the forgemaster initials, the forging number and also the year of manufacture. There should also be similar data on the rear face of the barrel.

If they were manufactured at ROF Nottingham then the forging numbers will be of the form NGxxxxx.

Hope this helps

If you look on the top face of the breech ring a set of information should be engraved there. This includes the registation number, the forgemaster initials, the forging number and also the year of manufacture. There should also be similar data on the rear face of the barrel.

If they were manufactured at ROF Nottingham then the forging numbers will be of the form NGxxxxx.

Hope this helps

They will ALSO have a large Badge engraved halfway down the Barrel for the Ordanance Factory..It Looks like a royal coat of arms. :coffee: