b24 crew memorial at Greatstones kent

this one might be of intrest to clive stevens .stopped of in a small carpark at Greatstones yesterday to use facalities and spotted this nice liitle memorial dedicated to the crew of a b24j which crash landed in to the sea here after bombing v1 launch sites on pas de calais it took a direct hit from an 88 which blew away most of the nose section.

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

now i should know this as my Grandad lives directly opposite the car park in question. To save me explaining here is a website explaining.http://www.greatstone.net/history/US%20Bomber%20Crash.htm

and also of interesst to some others just up the road is or was the pumping station for the PLUTO fuel line.

Kyle

The B-24 can supposedly be seen from time to time at low tide. I've not gone out to look and assume a boat would always be required. This memorial has been recently improved - probably at the same time as the local council put up a basketball court in what was a large car park. The memorial has been there for a few years. By taking the road from New Romney to Ashford via Brenzett you will pass another memorial for a B-17 - the pilot stayed at the controls so his men could get out. God Bless him.

MB

By taking the road from New Romney to Ashford via Brenzett you will pass another memorial for a B-17 - the pilot stayed at the controls so his men could get out. God Bless him.

Mark,

It is situated at the southern turn off from the A2070, for the village of Hamstreet and is now known as Johnson's Corner, after the pilot.