perspex cleaner

fayjo56

Make new ones??You can't clean cloudy perspex, it goes right through, the material. My Wife had a similar problem with rear windows on a Martin Walters Dormobile camper, (curved rear windows) You won't do anything with them, remake them, or live with them.

Edited by antarmike

depends on what it is

I cleaned my WW2 astrodome (from an AVRO Anson) with T-Cut... took out the scratches and generally cleaned it up a bit, but i know it can be reactive with some platics. But i didn't use cloths i used my hands to get a better finish. Done many a scratched watch face with t-cut and thumb!

I agree that scratches can be polished out, but if the perspex is cloudy (milky) call it what you will the plastic has degraded the whole way through its structure, and whatever you do to the surface can't repair the aging damage deep in the plastic.

If the plastic has degraded in this way, either live with it or make new parts....

Any 'aircraft types' know how to clean up clear perspex? I have some curved panels forming part of the screen of a fire engine (built by Miles) that have gone cloudy.

Can you clarify whether the problem is scatches on the surface, or the whole plastic degrading and not letting as much light through, as new material.

The current Guarantee for Clear Perspex (from Lucite), only states that the plastic will retain 85% of its original light transmission after ten years weathering. This is based on a 1mm sheet, with polished scratch free surfaces.

Obviously if the plastic is older than 10 years, the chances are the translucence will be less than 85% of the original sheet, even if all surface scratches are polished out.

The degree to which the pespex will become opaque, and how quickly this happens will depend on the UV stability of the original product, and I do not know whether perpex made 25 or 30 years ago, has the same UV stability of the modern version. (which as the guarantee states may only retain 85% of its original light transmission after 10 years use)

I have seen perspex that I guess, very un-scientifically has about 40 to 50% light transmission....

If you are going to replace, you can get Perpex AGR grade which has improved resistance to aging.....and an NB grade, non blooming...

Edited by antarmike

• 5 weeks later...

Try "Greygate plastic polish" it is the stuff that the RAF use for canopies, i was told by somebody while i was in service that toothpaste, T-Cut and metal polishes are exceptionally bad for plastic, as the chemicals get into the substrate of the plastic and make it brittle.

The NATO Stock number is 7930-99-224-2028, but if you are a normal human!! go to www.cpc.co.uk they sell it, just do a search for plastic polish.

I have recently used some to rescue a 20 yr old caravans windows, which looked like new by the time i finished, and it does a very good job on plastic headlight lenses and light cluster units.

• 11 months later...
Make new ones??You can't clean cloudy perspex, it goes right through, the material. My Wife had a similar problem with rear windows on a Martin Walters Dormobile camper, (curved rear windows) You won't do anything with them, remake them, or live with them.

I can

there is a product called, micro mesh, designed for cleaning aircraft perspex or lexan etc works pretty well.,google it and you will get all the links u need. having just read adrians post micro mesh has now been mentioned twice, must be good!!!

Edited by griff66