Emergency break down support group

paulob1

I was hoping that the HMVF would take a bigger interest and move it on to the next stage where it is a much more supported format and then be available to everyone and a feather in the cap of the HMVF for doing it...but that isnt the case so far...

Jack explained why, we did discuss this but there are legal implications, there's doubt that your insurance would cover you for using your MV as a recovery vehicle, if any damage was done to a vehicle whilst it's being recovered who would pay for that? there are other issues too that could leave HMVF wide open to legal action if anything went wrong. If we were to offer it as a member service HMVF would need it's own PLI to cover such a service, that is why this reamins a mate to mate service.

Cheers Lee

Paul - Lee is correct and that's why I flagged up the fact that it isn't an HMVF project but yours - which is a good one. Because it could turn into a legal nightmare for me, the whole world is now full of legislation. But a service that is just chums helping out is perfect!

Best wishes,

Jack.

Are you sure it's in the wrong place Paul? If you think about it, one of the big advantages of your scheme could be the offer of temporary local storage prior to transportation back home.

The worst part of breaking down is the pressure of having to organise something quickly before the police step in and arrange a commercial recovery on your behalf in order to clear the road.

The prospect of somewhere relatively 'safe and friendly' to store your vehicle for a few days would greatly help in minimising recovery costs by giving you time to get organised.

Has that auto electrical expert in Dorset signed up yet? :whistle:

Edited by N.O.S.

Jack explained why, we did discuss this but there are legal implications, there's doubt that your insurance would cover you for using your MV as a recovery vehicle, if any damage was done to a vehicle whilst it's being recovered who would pay for that?

Cheers Lee

Paul these reasons are what has held me back from signing up to this scheme, there are other considerations like coning off and public liability, as most call outs seem to happen in the winter, after dark, and in the rain, as the owner usually only seeks help after a few hours trying to get going. Most MVs are green and low visibility.

When a professional recovery firm arrives the driver is usually deemed to be in charge and left to it, this may not be so in the amateur case when the stressed owner thinks he knows best, resulting in chaos.

Amongst mates who work well together it is probably OK, but I can see problems for the over enthusiastic and unwary, s*d's law rules!

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to help but for the above points.

Just my point of view, I'm not against the basic idea, it could work well for a car club where most vehicles are the same small type/size and easily towed/trailered.

Why not rename the board Transport Storage and Recovery?

Edited by gritineye

Jack explained why, we did discuss this but there are legal implications, there's doubt that your insurance would cover you for using your MV as a recovery vehicle, if any damage was done to a vehicle whilst it's being recovered who would pay for that? there are other issues too that could leave HMVF wide open to legal action if anything went wrong. If we were to offer it as a member service HMVF would need it's own PLI to cover such a service, that is why this reamins a mate to mate service.

Cheers Lee

Thanks lee this is useful information and I understand the mentality of insurance companies in using every trick in the book to get off with not paying out. its a bit like giving a tow to another broken down vehicle in your car, are you insured for it...I bet not...

But understand how it needs to be a mate to mate service...thanks i think this clarifies things, it also clarifies the state of this couintry and its utter devotion to culpability and making those who try to help the offender and making them pay...country has gone mad...

I will investigate it a bit more...and see how far we can take this...

Paul these reasons are what has held me back from signing up to this scheme, there are other considerations like coning off and public liability, as most call outs seem to happen in the winter, after dark, and in the rain, as the owner usually only seeks help after a few hours trying to get going. Most MVs are green and low visibility.

When a professional recovery firm arrives the driver is usually deemed to be in charge and left to it, this may not be so in the amateur case when the stressed owner thinks he knows best, resulting in chaos.

Amongst mates who work well together it is probably OK, but I can see problems for the over enthusiastic and unwary, s*d's law rules!

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to help but for the above points.

Just my point of view, I'm not against the basic idea, it could work well for a car club where most vehicles are the same small type/size and easily towed/trailered.

Why not rename the board Transport Storage and Recovery?

Here what your saying.

Of course I too can come up with loads of scenarios where it would cause more trouble than its worth, for instance for vehicles under 3.5 tons there is the aa/rac...its stupid not to use them...but for bigger stuff you have to have real heavy RECOVERY stuff. this is not all about recovery, its about helping in times of trouble, as i say its someone who might know a local firm that can store the vehcile its about someone who can give you access to a phone book, or local knowledge and cups of tea...

Life is all about what we can do. Those who keep following the 'what we cant do' trend have a justifiable reason but I dont think we should follow it...if we want to help each other lets try...if its just a cup of tea whilst some one comes with a low loader then so be it...

dont focus on the tow side of it, its an option that may or may not be available...and I doubt that in the end helping a chum is actually as dangerous as not....

I will do a bit more investigation on the lega side of towing a mate, or low loading a mate, or recovering a mate and not charging him and what the insurance companies think...will come back with the answers.

DONT MAKE THIS MORE COMPLICATED THAN IT NEEDS TO BE. AND LETS HAVE SOME HELPFUL STUFF RATHER THAN THE OBVIOUS NEGATIVE STUFF...

iTS WHY THIS IS THE WRONG PLACE FOR IT, IT IS NOT ABOUT STORAGE AND TRANSPORTATION...THATS A VERY LIMITED OPTION IN MOST CASES.

BUT PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG YOUR POINTS ARE VERY VERY IMPORTANT AS i KNOW A LOT OF YOU ON HERE HAVE KNOWLEDGE IN AREAS THAT I DONT AND THAT IS WHY THIS FORUM IS SO DAMN HELPFUL... SO KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING, BUT PLEASE DONT BE OFFENDED IF I DONT AGREE....

Paul - Lee is correct and that's why I flagged up the fact that it isn't an HMVF project but yours - which is a good one. Because it could turn into a legal nightmare for me, the whole world is now full of legislation. But a service that is just chums helping out is perfect!

Best wishes,

Jack.

THANKS JACK AM WITH YOU AND WILL INVESTIGATE ALL THE ISSUES AND COME BACK TO THIS. I DONT KNOW THE ANSWERS YET BUT WILL SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT...NOT INTO SPECULATION OR STUPID EXAMPLES, OF WHICH I CAN COME UP WITH PLENTY MYSELF, MORE INTERESTED IN FACTS AND FROM THOSE FACTS DETERMINING A WAY FORWARD. I WILL COLLECT SOME FACTS AND POST ONCE I HAVE THEM...AGREE ITS A MATE TO MATE SERVICE RIGHT NOW..

oops forgot the caps lock sorry...

this is not all about recovery, its about helping in times of trouble, as i say its someone who might know a local firm that can store the vehcile its about someone who can give you access to a phone book, or local knowledge and cups of tea...

DONT MAKE THIS MORE COMPLICATED THAN IT NEEDS TO BE. AND LETS HAVE SOME HELPFUL STUFF RATHER THAN THE OBVIOUS NEGATIVE STUFF..

Sensible reply Paul, sorry to be a bit negative, but having having had my fair share of being broken down/towed myself I can testify that s**t happens to the stressed and unwary owner in times of trouble, nuff said.

The title of this thread says it all really, which I hadn't read properly, count me in I will PM details.

Maybe rename the board Transport Storage and Assistance?

thanks everyone i will be doing a few sample sheets for us all to have a look at will email them...got to do a trip to eastern europe again next week so it wont arrive for two weeks so be patient...hopefully we will be all set up for the summer show season...