Emergency break down support group

paulob1

hi guys,

well the idea is off the ground, we have a hand full of members signed up and we have coverage of the folowing areas...

Aberdeen

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

not total coverage but its a start...who else is going to sign up, its a plan to help some of our fellow drivers if they find themselves somewhere away from home and in need of local support...it may not be anything more than access to a yellow pages or use of your low loader (if you have one) and it is totally voluntary but if you can and would want to help then lets here from you...looks LIKE I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DO THE ADMIN FOR NOW BUT HAPPY TO DO THAT FOR A BIT...

Edited by paulob1

Aberdeen

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydesdale, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

North Yorkshire and Normandy France added.

I will be sending out a sheet to those on the list, of those on the list...no one else at this stage, if we reach about 20 names then i will keep it going...if you want to be added to the list PM me for the details..

Edited by paulob1
new people added

the list is growing...come on peeps, if you can offer a bit of help and dont mind doing so...its only for emergencies and not for regular support...and only for fellow members, the list so far...

Aberdeen

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydesdale, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

Growing every day...perhaps HMVF will make this a sticky eventually...

Aberdeen

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydesdale, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

Devon and Cornwall borders...

Growing every day...perhaps HMVF will make this a sticky eventually...

Aberdeen + 1...

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydebank, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

Staffs Derbyshire borders...

Numbers growing steadily....I would expect people to call you only in an emergency and those who are called to offer what help they can...if its just a cup of tea fine, if its a scammel and trailer and full recovery to a temporary safe site where repairs can be completed then even better...but as i say this is just a bunch of us who will help in some way if the need arises...

Edited by paulob1
typing errors

Aberdeen + 1...

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydebank, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

Leicester/northants area

West Sussex

Portsmouth and Chichester..

we are nearing the magic 20, looks like this is going to be a runner. i know its a bit new for some but its only and emergency help line, we all know what it is like to be stuck somewhere without any real help, i know some can call the AA/RAC and that is fine but if its over 3.4 tons your stuffed...and a quick call to some one local can be a god send...

anyway hopefully this is a long term project and we will see more and more people coming on board...

Aberdeen + 1...

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydebank, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

Leicester/northants area

West Sussex

Tring/ Hertfordshire

Possibly Leek, Staffs/derbyshire border...

Aldershot...

I will be preparing our forms for the emrgency group members next week as it does look like we will get the magic 20 people on board...

The list will go out with names and numbers/ location and the type of help available...I will categorise this in some way... and all to be printed on a sealed plastic sheet.

THe list will go to members ofthe mergency group for now and no one else.

SO if you want on get your names in boys and girls PM me

Edited by paulob1

Aberdeen + 1...

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydebank, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

Leicester/northants area

West Sussex

Tring/ Hertfordshire

Aldershot...

sheffield added.

To reiterate guys this is just about being around to help someone in time of an emergency. if a fellow HMVF er has broekn down and just needs someone local to make a cup of tea or to offer moral support it can help...you dont need to have a recovery company or a scammel...I know most people will use the AA for their smaller vehicles but for armour and ttacked and big trucks it can be a real nightmare...I am taking my stalwart for a run out today...its scary not to have any cover...

hi all looks like this is a reality now we have nearly 20 people so its looking good

Aberdeen + 1...

Eastbourne area

Guildford/alton

Colwyn Bay.

North Cheshire...

Harpenden now added...

Clydebank, nr Glasgow

West Sussex

Leicester/northants area

West Sussex

Tring/ Hertfordshire

Aldershot...

sheffield added

More southern england wessex and sussex added...

well we are well into this...what we need from all members is a local heavy truck break down firm...someone who can haul a broken down truck or vehicle in an emergency, especially if no one on here can help....can you guys get a name and contact number I will add it to our list THEY CAN THEN BE USED IF the truck is in need of being moved quickly just like my stalwart was the other day...complete and utter engine failure...I was stuck but luckily pulled into a layby...otherwise i would have been causing one hell of a traffic jam, friday at 5 on unlit dual carriageway ouch...ANY WAY mccormicks were out and had me away with 2 hours but there was a better firm a few miles from my site but i could not find them...have their number now...

anyway if people could PM me with details i will add thes to the list...

well we are well into this...what we need from all members is a local heavy truck break down firm...someone who can haul a broken down truck or vehicle in an emergency, especially if no one on here can help....can you guys get a name and contact number I will add it to our list THEY CAN THEN BE USED IF the truck is in need of being moved quickly just like my stalwart was the other day...complete and utter engine failure...I was stuck but luckily pulled into a layby...otherwise i would have been causing one hell of a traffic jam, friday at 5 on unlit dual carriageway ouch...ANY WAY mccormicks were out and had me away with 2 hours but there was a better firm a few miles from my site but i could not find them...have their number now...

anyway if people could PM me with details i will add thes to the list...

Worth noting Paul that for those with one of the Alvis 6x6 family they will need a low loader as they cannot be towed any distance (i.e. more than a couple of hundred yards at most) without some spanner work on the rear hubs to fit spacers in.

Good point and one that should be remembered by all who own them.

I have requested all members to identify local break down firms that can handle big trucks. this will also go on the list...

My stolly was low loaded back to Guildford, scary moving 10 tons of metal with wheels, no steering and virtually no brakes...excapt that cork ratchet affair...

this link needs to become a sticky. Who do I ask to put it as such, I asked lee but got no reply...

Great work Paul,

Could you just make it clear this is a 'friends' coalition and not an HMVF 'branded' one - yes I know - but if anything went pear shaped HMVF may be in the line of fire.

Very much appreciated.

JB

thanks Dave the list is getting very good now, despite being moved to this bizzarre location...storage and
transportation
...very

What's bizzarre about being this in the transportation board... you breakdown, you get transported back home :confused:

What's bizzarre about being this in the transportation board... you breakdown, you get transported back home :confused:

because its not about transportation or storage, its about offering a helping hand when you are broken down, its about offering access to yellow pages to tea to physical help, recoveruy may or may not be part of that help but it is not the essential element. Its the help that is wanted. Its more of a general MV issue than a transportation or storage issue...thats why I think its bizzarre for it to reside here...

Let me get this straight is this just those who have joined up

to this scheme limited to ?

commander

Currently yes that is how its being set up...primarily to ensure confidentiality for some and really to see how many people would want to sign up...

I was hoping that the HMVF would take a bigger interest and move it on to the next stage where it is a much more supported format and then be available to everyone and a feather in the cap of the HMVF for doing it...but that isnt the case so far...

I suggested it but did not want to run it as i am a very busy chappy as it is but for now I am moving it along. Although I am still not convinced its in the right place...storage and transportation? But hey ho, happy to live within the rules designated by the team...

However if the numbers get big enough then it will be self fulfilling and hopefully be available to everyone to make use of...most people who own these big vehicles love to help where they can and its great fun bringing your toy out in an emergency to help someone in need...