Market Garden events

Enigma

Hi All

Last weekend we remembered the Battle of Arnhem.

A British friend of ours (James) came over specially for the events.

We went to 3 events in 3 days with the 1942 Dodge.

Thursday we visited the Eerde camp and briefly spoke to Joris who just arrived.

Friday we went to the Belgian border for the parade drive to Eindhoven. As usualbrother Ronny drove the truck while I took the Folding Bicycle. We were accompanied by 2 teenage girls who went with us for the 3rd time.

In Eindhoven I met Ralph K. Manley, WW2 US paratrooper (501 PIR). Lovely man who signed a few WW2 helmets I restored.

RalphKManley501PIRSmall.jpg

After the parade Ronny returned home in his civilian car while James and me went to Ede (Ginkel Heath) via home to get some things. About 75 miles with some parts on the motorway (highway), in the dark. Not fun in a slower vehicle, a few times it got a bit exciting when modern cars came from behind at speed.

We spen the night in a tent (James in his modern landrover). Next day Ronny, our Mom and Alyssa (Ronny's daughter) joined us.

On Ginkel Heath loads of para's were dropped from Hercules planes from various countrysand a Dakota . Also a B25 bomber and 2 Texan/Harvard planes flew overhead.

Ronny, Alyssa and Mom went home.

DakotaSmall.jpg

B25andHarvardsSmall.jpg

After that James and me went to Nijmegen to sleep at a re-enacters camp near the Bridge.

Sunday we went to the startpoint for the events, meeting Ronny.

The vehicles stayed behind for safety and bomb checks! (UK Prince Phillips, Dutch Queen Beatrix and US 4star General would be there. We were also screened by security.

We were brought in a small bus to the monumant where the 82nd airborne crossed the river in canvas boats.

As re-enacters we stood at attention etc. After that back in our VIP bus to the vehicles.

We went to the bridge to wait for the parade while the official commemorations took place.

Again security was tight. A WW2 US paratrooper couldn't get in the vehicles for the parade because he didn't have a wristband!

Befroe the parade another bombcheck and off we went. We were in the 2nd vehicle behind a Sherman tank with a Brit veteran Les Gibson. Fun at first until the tank started to smoke before we reached the other side of the bridge, it had to stop.

LesGibbonsSmall.jpg

ShermanonNijmegenbridgeSmall.jpg

We continued as the 1st vehicle to the return journey back over the bridge.

All in all a very good 3 days and the Dodge didn't let us down.

Attached is a news item about the event, its in Dutch with some US and British veterans being interviewed.

You can see us at 37.15 minutes, I am behind the steering wheel;

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=10109206

Also a youtube link, were visible at 1.55 minutes (Dodge with window down).

We will remember them.

Edited by Enigma