Green Laning and country exploration

paul connor

Here are a few shots of some Green lane public byways in Rotherfield and Crowborough sussex. I know my Green lane codes and I remain very respectful before anyone jumps on me! I do not drive lanes that are subject to me making them into a mess and I research all legal rights of way 100%

ok, well hope you enjoy..

P1010050.jpg

Small lane, think its Chant lane in Rotherfield area

P1010052.jpg

Nice view of how deep it gets, the entrances to these have been restricted in size, you can get a defender through. I assume its to restrict unwanted vehicles,I did get permisson from the Council so its 100%

P9200030.jpg

shot from the river of the 110 passing over an old stone bridge

P9200033.jpg

beautiful woodland

P9200060.jpg

most tracks are around the 3M regulation but some prove they have not been driven in years with the undergrowth and vegetation. (cut back where needed)

P9200061.jpg

Me looking smug with my 110 I have pretty much built

P9200064.jpg

Landi doing what it has for its life,hiding in the woods

P9200067.jpg

Small stream you have to cross

P9200068.jpg

another shot of the stream

P9200071.jpg

another view of the smaller lanes,we trimmed most back with sheers

P9200074.jpg

P9200076.jpg

another boggy area, driven with care

P9200079.jpg

nice shot of the 110 TUM looking very nice i think

P9200081.jpg

one byway with a bridge(built by council) with byway signs and again I checked these are still 100% valid

P9200084.jpg

Proof some dont like the byways on their land!

P9200087.jpg

Shelled pillbox in the area

P9200088.jpg

interesting example.. very rare! shelled from neighbour Anti tank emplacement;)

The pillbox is a type 24 Anti Infantry. It was shelled from a neighbour pillbox type 28 Anti tank.. Not sure what size gun would have been housed there.. but I would say they took it out and wheeled it over to this one and took a good 20 shots at it. Inside is still the Canadian Infantrymens Names and Numbers on the wall..

Also the interior blast wall is peppered in shapnel and has a clean hole through the centre where one shot has passed through! very facinating example!

• 2 weeks later...

Green Laning again.. a few more pictures

DSC01523.jpg

Some nice untouched woodland. This is why I do love Sussex

P9190026.jpg

A massive Mushroom that we saw! I had to take a picture,any one know what it is?

DSC01521.jpg

Shows the size limits the Councils now put on the lanes. They are 100% legal still,I had that confirmed by may friend in the Council Highways Dept.

DSC01531.jpg

A picture of my Girlfriend climbing on the 110 away from the water

DSC01538.jpg

Nice shot of a small hill climb

DSC01545.jpg

Typical fly tipping and fires! spoiling access to a lane! the caravans and weightlifting gear outside the local gypsies camp around 100metres away gets my finger pointing! As well as Tv's and washing machines tipped all up the access lanes! Shocking!

DSC01546.jpg

P9210015.jpg

I was Brave and let the GF drive a few lanes! hahha

DSC01557.jpg

some Lamas we passed! as you do..

P9250029.jpg

this lane is now not drivable or passable! even though its still registered as a Byway! I did do a fair amount of paint damage getting up there! should have walked it first as it was a dead end! live and learn

DSC01554.jpg

This lane seems very popular! and is very damaged! hence the mud pit!were smaller ones before this hence mess! many tyre marks from vehicles as well as motorbikes.. shame as should be left to recover! I had no real choice but to drive through as the way back would be reversing around a mile.

DSC01561.jpg

110 back on the drive and after the mud pits of the last lane in need of a wash!

Guest Yin717

I love Greenlaning. Sadly I can't see the pics, but I really do love greenlaning. Me and my Dad did it loads but we haven't done it as much now. Not with a new baby sister, but she loves the landy to. We call it Ted, my Dad's idea. So if you ever hear me say Ted you'll know who we on about it.

Guest Yin717

Wow mike! Now that's what I call greenalning! Shame you didn't have a snorkel! I'm liking the Series 2? I know Series 2 had the headlights in the middle but whether that's a Series 2 or 1 I ain't sure but I think it's a Series 2 more because it has more contents inside. lol.

Fisrt series shows 1963 series 2A with 2 1/4 Petrol, Last photo shows 1953 80" Series 1, with 2 litre petrol. I think I have some photo's of a mates 86" Series one and my 1972 Forward Control 2B, doing much the same stuff.

Edited by antarmike

RUPP5.jpg

Same location, Different Landy, Same registration (long Story) Stuck on a buttress root jammed between fuel tank and front wheel.

This was trying to get round the back of a tree, to avoid another water filled bog, going through the bog might have been easier in the end. This needed front and back winches being used at the same time to pull the landy 2 feet sideways, off the root.

Guest Yin717
Fisrt series shows 1963 series 2A with 2 1/4 Petrol, Last photo shows 1953 80" Series 1, with 2 litre petrol. I think I have some photo's of a mates 86" Series one and my 1972 Forward Control 2B, doing much the same stuff.

Well I got the first one right!

This was trying to get round the back of a tree, to avoid another water filled bog, going through the bog might have been easier in the end. This needed front and back winches being used at the same time to pull the landy 2 feet sideways, off the root.

Ouch! Then again my Dad does say the most obvious way is the best! That reminds me, I gotta get some pics of the landy!

I live not far from the Ridgeway. That was one hell of a green lane monster that went for dozens of miles. Sadly they have now closed it and since then all the other lanes in the area have been Restricted to stop the Ridgeway traffic using them instead.

It never ceases to amaze me how these councils operate, it's like a war against people enjoying their 4x4's. They moan that they are never used off road and when you do they ban the activity.

I think most of it is down to the "Ramblers" brigade who are all ex judges, Dr's and the like. When I was in the East Northants Land Rover Owners Club we used to go out at weekends and repair the lanes in our own time for free. The council supplied the materials and we supplied the labour.

Unfortunately people seem to go out in the winter months when the lanes are flooded and wet and totally decimate them with wheel ruts instead of letting them recover over winter and driving them when dry to avoid rutting them up so bad. The council steps in and bans their use. The actions of a minority spoil it for everyone else as always.:nono:

Popped out after the rain yesterday for a quick drive,ended up doing more miles than expected and having a few close calls!

DSC01574.jpg

Evidence that the water table is indeed up!

DSC01577.jpg

But even with a few ruts and odd angles the 110 plods on

DSC01582.jpg

Marsh land.. not a wise Idea! which I worked out fast! Once committed to this Lane you can not turn around! so you have to go the full length or reverse all the way back! in the ruts!

DSC01581.jpg

the close calls came in the wooded section which was making some horrid noises on the paintwork and the alarming 90deg bends full of ruts and surrouneded with field irregation rivers.. in a marsh! with deep water signs! the 110 was drifting and turning like HMS Belfast!

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

Deep water to both sides. What the picture fails to highlight is the banks are around 2ft from each side of the 110! so error was not really an option! or it would be me crying standing up to my waste in water on the roof of the sunken 110

DSC01592.jpg

the last joining lane to this was far far to boggy to drive

DSC01591.jpg

I had to reverse out of this one! which was hard as the ruts threw the rear wheels towards the river bank! and the fronts would just spin and not direct the vehicle!

It was a silly idea this one! much to the amusement of the fisherman by the entrance who stated "bit muddy up there" yes,quite! thats an understatement... I did say when reversing past him "If anyone asks.. I didnt reverse out, OK " he laughed

Edited by paul connor