Bad brake pads!

sirhc

Degsy,

It did stop, the brakes were actually working, and they would hold it on a hill or on the neck of a low loader no problem! I tried doing an emergency stop and it was not as good as I thought it should be, otherwise I wouldn't have even looked at them!

Chris

Jack,

They are designed to get wet, but not be submerged for any length of time. The gearbox bay of a CVRT is open to the elements at the top, but sealed at the bottom, so they tend to fill up with water. The water picks up any oil or hydraulic fluid which has leaked onto the floor and then coats the pads and discs with it. This is fairly common on CVRTs as if you leave the drain plate off underneath the gearbox then the fan draws air in through there rather than through the radiator and then your engine overheats!

Chris

Jack,

They are designed to get wet, but not be submerged for any length of time. The gearbox bay of a CVRT is open to the elements at the top, but sealed at the bottom, so they tend to fill up with water. The water picks up any oil or hydraulic fluid which has leaked onto the floor and then coats the pads and discs with it. This is fairly common on CVRTs as if you leave the drain plate off underneath the gearbox then the fan draws air in through there rather than through the radiator and then your engine overheats!

Chris

Cheers Chris and makes perfect sense. Goes to show that mv's must be some of the most difficult vehicles to maintain....?

Jack,

Chris

Well at least you know they are VERY easy to get at & replace Chris!

Obviously, you are going to check the disc's before fitting new pads? :-D

RE: Hull Drain Cover.

I seem to recall when I had my Scorpion, there was a 'Valve' or manual hull drain plate/cover. I cant remember if you put your foot on a Button to open it via a cable. Or, it was on the front by the Tillers that you turned a screwed knob & it opened the valve to drain water. I think it was probably the latter. This was for the driver to operate after exiting water after the vehicle had deep waded, or swimming in the early days when they were all fitted with screens.

Never had to look under the hulls of our Sampsons or Spartens.

Only scorp's & Scim's!

Yours may possibly not have this facility if it is a later manufacture & they did away with the valve?

But, It did make life easier to drain the hull whenever you wanted! :yay:

Mike.

Mike,

Yes all variants including Samson and Spartan are fitted with this, but there is a gauze filter which gets clogged very quickly. As for the pads being easy to get at, they are not too bad, it's just a shame I can't locate a commercial equivalent part so have to pay dealer prices :(

Chris

Mike,

Yes all variants including Samson and Spartan are fitted with this, but there is a gauze filter which gets clogged very quickly. As for the pads being easy to get at, they are not too bad, it's just a shame I can't locate a commercial equivalent part so have to pay dealer prices :(

Chris

I never took much notice in Service. You dont always when your priority is a certain repair. You dont always have the time (Or can be interested, after all it's a Military bit of kit in your daily job!) to check out things other than what your tasked to repair.

I can only assume that privately owned vehicles recieve the usual care & maintainance lavished upon them that an in Service example wouldnt!

I know that You Chris, would clean your filters a Damm sight more regularly than a driver/ crew member would! You have to think that a Squaddie will only do what he can get away with. No more, if possible. His mind set is, 'It's not mine, & after all the Army is a big firm'. Anything goes wrong in general. HE, doesnt' have to put his hand in his pocket!

As for private owners, WELL......As we ALL know. That's an entirely different matter!!!

Good luck on sensibly pricing a new set of pads Chris! :thumbsup: