Halftrack Operators - Help Wanted

Jessie The Jeep

A friend of mine recently got the halftrack shown below. He's in the early stages of the restoration which he hopes to have completed for the Elvington show in May 2010. Since it was heavily modified in Isreal, there are several areas needing to be remade, including fuel tanks, but he's lacking info, dimensions or another vehicle to look at and measure.

halftrack(7).jpg

If anyone here can provide details, drawings, or a vehicle to visit, photograph and measure, even parts swap etc, it would be much appreciated.

Let me know and I can put you in contact.

Steve

Whats wrong with leaving as it would have been when in isreal? For me that later part of its service is just as important as the begining. There is just as much if not more to the story by leaving as it was when it left service. How many Half tracks as set up as WW2 models and how many as those that would have service in the 6 day war?

We is he (or you) based Steve?

We have two halftracks in the shed not far from York. One Autocar M2A1, and an International which currently has twin 0.50s in the back. You (or your pal) are welcome to come and have a look anytime.

I am guessing that if the target is Elvington 2010, then he/you are from that sort of area.

Ken

We is he (or you) based Steve?

We have two halftracks in the shed not far from York. One Autocar M2A1, and an International which currently has twin 0.50s in the back. You (or your pal) are welcome to come and have a look anytime.

I am guessing that if the target is Elvington 2010, then he/you are from that sort of area.

Ken

Great work Ken!

And I think Dick Shepherd left his as an Israeli but for me it has to be WWII.

Malcolm imported it I think from the Nether-regions, but the truck driver decided to come through France and got impounded for a while. It was meant to be shipped directly to Tees Port!

When he got some of the back lockers freed, he found two crates full of live 30 cal ammo!!

Plans are also to take it to Tanks in Town next year. I think he said it's a fairly rare version, so he's converting it back to that format, as when it was in Isreal's military service, the floor was butchered to mount a hugh 105mm ( ? ) gun in the back.

Is this a special section of the forum? :shocked: I think you goofed! Looks like a link to editing a post. I just get the following message.......

"Jessie The Jeep, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Ken for a great afternoon poking around the Halftrack. Malcolm and I came away with 260 photos, a load of drawings and measurements, plus several spares.

There's enough info there to keep Malcolm busy for the rest of the year and he's over the moon with the results of the afternoons work.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

I seem to recall Malcolm telling me that his halftrack is fairly rare version, with only a few hundred of that type being made. His main interest is WW2, and it's his money, so it's going back to it's WW2 configuration, especially since the huge gun mounted on the back in its service to Isreal, has long since gone. It also wouldn't match his Dodge Ambulance and GMC353.

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread, real nice looking halftrack.

It seems like an age ago that I restored mine, I am not trying to hijack the thread, but noticed that picture of the inter with the front crane. Was that picture found on the internet ?

Its a long shot, but I wondered if it may have been my inter, mine had "Willy wombat" painted on the front.

As I said, great thread - sorry for any tresspass.

Regards Mark.

• 2 months later...