Saracen woes!

oily

:( .........oh dear!, oh dear, oh dear!:argh: It's all adding up now....

If you recall my previous thread, regarding my wonderful saracen..... slipping gears, missing gears,......a small oil leak, and now I recall an odd smell, similar to burning paper -(which I'd assumed was the result of local 'oiks' poking paper/lolly sticks into the exhaust).My lovely toy has broken down, on the way back from a camping trip, first it missed a couple of gear changes, then refused to ghange gear at all until being left to cool off for a couple of hours or so.....

On questioning my dad about the symptoms, since he drove them and Ferrets in service, he confirmed that it is highly likely that the brake bands have worn, due to low oil/overheating, ....looks like I'm about to learn how to remove, strip, possibly recondition, and refit a saracen gearbox,...... any pointers from anyone, anybody done this before?...

1. Whats the easiest/quickest way

2. Is it possible to replace the brake bands without removing the box?

3. How much will this likely to cost me in parts?, :???

4. Does anyone know if there is a modern/fully automatic gearbox, that could cope, and be made to fit?

....as I can do the spanner work, thats taking it out and putting it back at least!

any pointers from anyone, anybody done this before?...

1. Whats the easiest/quickest way

2. Is it possible to replace the brake bands without removing the box?

3. How much will this likely to cost me in parts?, :???

4. Does anyone know if there is a modern/fully automatic gearbox, that could cope, and be made to fit?

Oily,

Having done this job a good many times, here are answers to your questions;

1. No easy way, engine has to be pulled out first, then gearbox. I suggest you read the full EMER on your vehicle to give you step by step on what and how to do it.

2. No, you have to remove the box from the vehicle to strip it.

3. Easier to find a good gearbox than repair it, if you are not confident. I have fitted some good takeouts from vehicles destined for range tagets with low mileage boxes. This will keep the costs and time down.

4. Forget trying to fit an auto box, it would be a major engineering job to mate it to engine and transfer box, and why...the pre-selector is a superb device providing it is used with care and kept in good order, ie. adjustments and oil levels.

regards, Richard

...the pre-selector is a superb device providing it is used with care and kept in good order, ie. adjustments and oil levels.

regards, Richard

Providing you are never afraid of smacking the GCP hard to change gear. Being timid on the Saracen gear change is a recipe for a false neutral which, in my experience, will push your left knee into your chin and take a LOT of stamping on the GCP to reselect the gear.

(Don't ask me why. I only took the driving course because we had them as ACVs and there was a course going. A week driving round the Paderborn ring road with interesting coffee breaks. Great way to spend a week away from the vehicle park.)

Other than that, the Saracen is just about as good a ride as a Ferret, which on ARRSE earlier this week I declared to be the cabbiest ride in town. At least the steering wheel is that right way up on a Saracen.

no truer word was said!, I just love:cool2::-D driving around everywhere in my saracen, -before it's unfortunate gear problem:sweat:, I found I coud keep up with most traffic, and took to the pre-select box like it was second nature...... a little help from dad (:iloveyou:), was a great help, as he used to drive them alot, and ferrets, later moving on to centurions.

I find the ferret a little easier, in the amount of effort used to operate the GCP, but my saracen never really proved that much of a problem, as regards the dreaded 'false neutral', except just prior to the recent gear selection problems, which I assume to be a symptom of worn out brake bands, increased heat in the gearbox, and the weird 'burning cardboard' smell, that I experienced shortly before the gears stopped working......I've been quoted £1250:shocked::???, for a replacement M.O.D. Recon, box, inc V.A.T. and delivery....is this cheap?/extortion?, as not really had to buy anything like this before...... anyone got any cheaper ones?

I've been quoted £1250:shocked::???, for a replacement M.O.D. Recon, box, inc V.A.T. and delivery....is this cheap?/extortion?, as not really had to buy anything like this before...... anyone got any cheaper ones?

Don't know what the going rate is but have you contacted Banisters??

looks like I've found a new old stock, gearbox for my poorly Saracen, courtesy of my 'wanted' notice on milweb, it's as new, still all wrapped up in it's greased protective wrappings, with fixings etc, -still in a packing crate.......and all for £680, .......much more affordable! from a chap in Kent, near the War and Peace showground, a guy by the name of Brian -Laken, I think he said his surname was, ... anyways, watch this space for news on the big job ahead! I'll more than likely be asking for more advice, no doubt, but thanks anyway..... bye for now...