1980 series 111 109 hard top ex RM FFR

Ian Dunn

Hi All

I am in the process of getting a second 109,

this one is an ex Royal Marine (42 commando) FFR hard top

This is where i need some help

Has anyone got info / photos on the above landy's

any info at all radios,arials extras over normal 109's

i would like to restore it with all gear.

Thanks

Ian[/b]

Ian

If the hardtop has no windows, and the window in the raer door looks like it may have been painted over, taped over, or covered in some way it may be that the vehicle carried cryto gear. Most FFR's of that period would have had Clansman kit, but what was fitted would be depenpent on role.

Have a good look to see if it's a civvy hardtop, made to make a softtop a bit less cold and wet.

Hi Andy

Since our last phone conversation, Helen has paid the money and Bill Bock

is going to move it next week

there is a full set of seats (the previous owner has them and is going to send them on)

we only have 1 battery (and that is suspect)

How can you tell if it is a civvie hard top ?

there are bolt holes on the wings where the ATU boxes were and also the flaps are on the wings behind the ATU posistion.

the interesting thing is that the military vin plate says it is a 24v

land rover s3 3/4 ton 4x4 LHD (but it is RHD)

have you any photos?

Ian

How can you tell if it is a civvie hard top ?

The method I've employed so far is to get inside and scrape a sample of paint off the inside. If it has Limestone White as a basecoat then I'd lay money on it being a civvi hardtop that has been bolted on at a later date. Hopefully if I'm wrong here then someone will correct me, but I've based this on the assumption that if the hardtop was factory-fitted then it would have the same basecoat as the rest of the vehicle, i.e. Bronze Green or IRR Green.

No sign of white paint (only lots of green..even when scraped)

at the moment we have no log book but the BL vin plate gives a number of.........LBCAH2AA113746

does this mean anything?

Military vin plate reads........

Truck Utility,FFR,3/4 T,4x4

LHD,24 Volt Rover Series 3

Serial No LBCAH2AA113746

Reg No 66HG56

CON No FVE 22A/115/9

CES No 33591

CODE No 1720-5778

Wht info does CES No 33591 give us???

Please can anyone help ?

Ian

Ian

Have a look and see if the VIN plate has been fixed with pop rivets, these should be nice and old and dirty by now. As the VIN and census plates tally, it does seem odd that it's not LHD!

If the vehicle is at Bill's over the weekend I will have a look, as I have to go and have a bit of a play with my FFR.

Give me a ring on Friday evening if you like.

Andy

Ian,

The CES number relates to the Complete Equipment Schedule document, which tells you what equipment the vehicle should be supplied with. There is a CES document for all British vehicles, and the kit covered in the CES is normally just called CES too.

Chris

Hi Andy

The FFR is already at Steve and Sheila 's place down here,

on the L/H side the seat belt is an enertia one and the R/H side is a hand adjustable one

also if you look at the footwell on the left it looks like it may have been blanked out (its not the same as the other GS)

Chris

Thanks for the info!

is it possible to get coppies of CES's ?

if it is where do i start looking ?

so i can see what the L/R had.

thanks again

Ian

Hi Andy

The FFR is already at Steve and Sheila 's place down here,

on the L/H side the seat belt is an enertia one and the R/H side is a hand adjustable one

also if you look at the footwell on the left it looks like it may have been blanked out (its not the same as the other)

It's funny mention the difference in the seat belts. Our 109 CL is Right hand drive but it also has an inertia belt for the passenger but a static belt for the driver. And on the steering box cross member it looks like the steering box has been on the left side at some time in the vehicles life. (There is a build up of under-seal where the drop arm would have been.)

Was it normal practice for L/R to be changed from left to right hand drive as needed? :?

Regards

Richard

I can't identify the prefix letters in any of the lists I have at home but all the 2AA chassis no's with different prefixes ars LHD 110's fitted with 3.5 V8 engine and 4 speed gearbox. I will look thro' the information I have in work when I get time and let you know if I can come up with any more info.

Military vin plate reads........

Truck Utility,FFR,3/4 T,4x4

LHD,24 Volt Rover Series 3

Serial No LBCAH2AA113746

Reg No 66HG56

CON No FVE 22A/115/9

CES No 33591

CODE No 1720-5778

Ian,

The chassis number is definitely LHD Series 3, with 2.25 petrol engine and 4 speed gearbox, according to the VIN breakdown.

There are several possibilities here, a) that it was converted to RHD after disposal, in order to be more saleable in UK, b) that the data plates have been switched to another vehicle, this can be proven by locating the VIN number which is stamped on the chassis, and c) that the vehicle was converted to RHD whilst in Service.

You could check to see if there are signs of the steering relay being fitted in the nearside location on the front cross member.

Just to show that vehicles in Service were actually changed over, here is an example I came across whilst working in REME. I was involved in building the ceremonial Lightweights for the Honourable Artillery Company, used for Royal birthday salutes at the Tower of London, one of these vehicles had a military VIN plate with LHD on, but was actually RHD. They were vehicles that had seen considerable service before we rebuilt them, possibly brought back from Germany.

Richard