Shorland Site

fv1609

http://www.shorlandsite.com is back again.

The framework has been there for 6 months, but now there is more flesh on the bones (& yes including a link to HMVF).

I still have a lot more to go on, including 2 User Handbooks & 2 Parts Books. If anyone has anything to share with us on the site that would be nice & I hope to have personal albums of Shorlands. Although it will be restricted to vehicles that are fairly close to their original construction.

Edited by fv1609

• 4 months later...

Been a bit of a blockage in the system. A lot more to come but today there is a new topic up. Click on the last photo here:

http://www.shorlandsite.com/CarMark1.htm

This was the first restoration when I got it, there have been two more restorations since. The most recent was last year after a 12-year lay up & it's still going on!

Been a busy day two more manuals up, so currently there is:

Shorland Mk 3 Civilian Parts Catalogue

Shorland Mk 3 Military User Handbook

Shorland Mk 4 Civilian Operator's Manual

Shorts SB401 Civilian/RAF Operator's Manual including Parts Catalogue

http://www.shorlandsite.com/Manuals.htm

With time there will be extracts (it is very big) of the Shorland Mk 3 Military Illustrated Parts Catalogue. These extracts will be prompted by requests for which particular sections are of interest.

Edited by fv1609

Bob I would have jumped at it a year ago! I cut my turret up to reproduce a Vigilant turret, which as you know is entirely different from the Ferret 2/6 arrangement. Anyway after some years I came to my senses & last spring rebuilt it again to how nature had intended.

BTW do you know what date the turret is?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good to see it up and going.

Just had a look great. I looked at prototypes and see the end one the last prototype,, what about paul kettle cwk42y mk5 ? I belive it was there mk4 prototype they scraped and put on the 110 chassis. Tested at gaydon to distruction. Paul recoverd it and restored it . A few k later.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Ok Alec that's fair enough glad its been of help. Usually when there are variations in components for different contracts that is flagged up in the margin. It would seem odd if the two contracts had a mixture in each. But who knows? Perhaps we need to start diff spotting on all known examples!

Unfortunately the site doesn't have a counter so I don't how popular something is. In due course I'll put up various other sections. What would you like or think would be the next most useful?

Well for me, I have pretty much everything for the Land Rover base vehicle.

To me the most useful thing just now would be shorland-specific items such as panels/turret/slewing mechanism/gunners seat etc. I have seen the Mk3 reference plates on the Shorland Site and they have proved invaluable, but having the item descriptions/quantity/size pages to accompany them would be great.

I have the bulk of Army Publication 22638, but annoyingly missing a couple of sections. I recently bought 7 thick folders full of army Land Rover related manuals, getting through them slowly, the other Mk3 sections may be in there, its all jumbled up.

What I do have which may be of interest to you is the "List of parts based on DAC Form 82 for Truck APC Shorland Rover Mk3", DAC Form 82 No. 2047, Contract A/CTS/FV 15765, 9 pages worth. Interested in a pdf copy for completeness?

Alec.

Alec I'd forgotten there are bodywork pages on site. So the next step is for me to marry them up with the text pages & put them in a pdf. As you may noticed most of those drawings are from Shorts & appear in the civilian parts book.

The problem there is the part no. is often coded with SB&H special no. or a FV no. I do have what is probably the only surviving factory use file that relates part numbers up to suppliers, their part numbers & address. But I doubt if many are still in business. But it does give date for various mods & quite a bit of coverage on the Vigilant version.

The military parts book apart from the NSNs does give a bit more of a description that may help.

Ok on AC 22638 do you think you have any amendments? I have No.7 1978. although it is mainly electrical stuff. I have one EMER & one EMEI

Did you buy a roll of that Trakmark?

PS Yes that pdf would be nice.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...