Aviation Archaeology

Any one else involved with Aircraft Archaeology on the fourm ?

I have been for 30 odd years, mainly around Oxfordshire where we had mainly Operational Training Units, Wellingtons, Whitleys, Hampdens, Oxfords, Harvards, but we also have had our fair sprinkling Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquitos and even a 617 Squadron Lanc!

I was involved many years ago in some of the Kent Battle of Britain digs, don't do as much these days, but am thinking of dusting off the trusty metal detector and getting out in the open air!

Any one else interested?

Jules

• 1 year later...
Any one else involved with Aircraft Archaeology on the fourm ?

I have been for 30 odd years, mainly around Oxfordshire where we had mainly Operational Training Units, Wellingtons, Whitleys, Hampdens, Oxfords, Harvards, but we also have had our fair sprinkling Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquitos and even a 617 Squadron Lanc!

I was involved many years ago in some of the Kent Battle of Britain digs, don't do as much these days, but am thinking of dusting off the trusty metal detector and getting out in the open air!

Any one else interested?

Jules

Hi there, did you ever get going witgh your oxford based project? i would be interested as well although live in dorset. have archy quals and military history knowledge and interest.

:cool2:

I hate to be a fly in the ointment but isn't this almost illegal now? There were several digs in the 70's that dug up live bombs and very dead crew and although seemingly that relatives were happy their family members were no longer missing, the authorities did not want it advertising that sometimes they had made little or no efforts to recover bodies at the time. As a result, digging is now only allowed with a permit which to all intents and purposes is never issued unless ALL bodies and ALL bombs are accounted for:ie never!

You are not wrong regarding reasons why digging was made harder for aviation archaeology. But, licenses can be applied for, if there are sufficient qualifications and understanding of the archaeology, as opposed to 'just' digging it up. Certain wrecks may be identifed as to their rarity, i.e., being the only one left, protype, therefore an argument can be made as to its recovery. The Dornier 17 recently identified on the goodwin sands is a good example of that.

And if you look at how bad the Time Team recovery of an Invader in Preston was, there is scope for good archaeology.

Ooh, were you there? What happens to all the gear on that scale being recovered.

Yes not a crash site, but archaeology apects should be adhered to if calling it archaeology.

If just digging stuff out, be like bottle dump digging with no pretensions to archaeology, just recovery.

Don't think me a purist, but i have often seen the term archaeology misused to suit a project.

I was on a dig in the middle east, and archaeology seemed secondary to the development of an ego.

That dig was a little different in that it was not a crash site. In some ways, better as we never knew what was coming out of the hole next!

I bet that was a great event. Excitement when recovering god knows what.

Does it get written up and published in any form in an archive and added to the history of the airfield/unit at all.

Not many parts available for your vehicles though. Have to find a Sherman dump, like Million Dollar Point or the valley at Guam?

I don't think it could be called archaeology to be honest, it was a matter of removing all the metal in the ground!

A lot of research had been carried out beforehand (not by me, I hasten to add) to pinpoint the location and an exploratory dig had been carried out previously.

It was a post-war dump of the non-recyclable materials from a larger dump that had not been properly cleared.

It was primarily stainless and inconel with a few other non- aluminium parts thrown in for good measure. Not all of it was US origin either.

There were a few vehicle pieces but not surprisingly, nothing tank related!

• 1 month later...
I don't think it could be called archaeology to be honest, it was a matter of removing all the metal in the ground!

A lot of research had been carried out beforehand (not by me, I hasten to add) to pinpoint the location and an exploratory dig had been carried out previously.

It was a post-war dump of the non-recyclable materials from a larger dump that had not been properly cleared.

It was primarily stainless and inconel with a few other non- aluminium parts thrown in for good measure. Not all of it was US origin either.

There were a few vehicle pieces but not surprisingly, nothing tank related!

Adrian what happened to all the stuff. Some went to Sally B, but there was an awful lot.

Adrian what happened to all the stuff. Some went to Sally B, but there was an awful lot.

join and go through the old posts on the usaaf forum. you will find who has the stuff which has not been donated to the museums. some was/is going to be sold to fund future digs so things may be able to be purchased. most people ended up with a oxy bottle or two.

join and go through the old posts on the usaaf forum. you will find who has the stuff which has not been donated to the museums. some was/is going to be sold to fund future digs so things may be able to be purchased. most people ended up with a oxy bottle or two.

Did yourself go as well as adrian?

Which forum is it, aces and contrails?