Landrover power steering drop arm

paul connor

Question

I cannot get the thing off...

I have tried pullers.. hammers.. levers.. big hammers.. tears.. swearing.. throwing things at it

It has a worn joint on the end, which you can normally knock out and repair but that will not shift as its so worn! So , Im left with the problem of getting the arm off!

Has any one done one? Or can anyone help me witha large puller (10 tonne) or the correct landrover puller? Im now stranded in Brighton on my Drive..

Can anyone come and help! Before I set fire to it! they are notoriously bad so I hear

Paul

13 answers to this question

Is it possible to transfer the impact of a heavy hammer via a long steel bar resting squarely on the arm?

Ensure fingers removed from work area though! It Hurts!! More practically have you tried wraping it in a cloth soacked in old oil and diseil, then cover with plastic and leave for a bit?

You can try heating the arm but be careful to not get it too close to the bottom of the steering box and cook the seal.

I have put pullers on them before now, as tight as i can, soak in wd40 and leave it for half an hour. Another pull to put a bit more pressure on it and leave it again. Add a tap from your favorite hammer if you can get a swing in with your puller fitted. Some have then just come loose and others have gone with a bang. :shocked:

Second what Poptopshed said about using heat if doing it in situ but be ready to replace the bottom seal, they're usually leaky anyway, if not it'll leak anyway after you've so much as looked at it.

Best field fix I saw for removing one when no puller was available was to remove the steering box and apply two simultaneous blows from large hammers to either side of the arm. You need good timing but I've never seen a more effective method of removal when done right.

give it a good spray with wd40 leave over night remove nut and turn steering a few times. Had the same problem on a old range rover i had. did that and the joint fell apart. May be worth a try it saves the skin on your fingers.

DON'T HEAT IT UP! You'll burn the seal! Take the box off completely. A pain for sure, but often the only easy way if you don't have the proper tool. Take the large nut off. Get a brave and trusting soul to hold the box upright on a hardwood block, while you strike the drop arm with a LARGE hammer. Works every time! Or pop over and borrow the proper tool?

Jules

Hold it upright with the thread of the steering shaft on the hardwood block, and hit the drop arm as close to the box casing as possible. If this is attempted on the vehicle without the shaft supported, it can cause damage to the bearings, or make the lower seal leak, neither of which are good options!

Proper tool is a hydraulic puller, which fits over the drop arm, and puts force onto the shaft to seperate them. Usually goes with a bang and have had mine broken before now (not by me!)on a TIGHT drop arm.

Good luck, Jules

Edited by julezee001
Extra info!

If you take out the box you could take it to my mate Phil out at Poynings who should be able to remove the drop arm. He might be on holiday though. I'll look in tomorrow

Edited by Chrisg
Spelling

Well. today I removed the steering unit. cut a slice through the arm with a grinder and it tapped off very easy.

Then the joy came! the new arm I had was the wrong one! ha, its for a 4bolt unit not the 6bolt mine is! the Difference? about 1mm on the spline hole.

So awaiting a new one for the morning! then it should be back together quite fast!

thanks for the help everyone