Dodge Command Car

junkcollector

Hi Everyone

Just wanting an opinion from experts, I by chance yesterday went to see what was a Dodge Command car rolling Chassis, supposedly post war, wheels, axles, gearbox, engine pretty much all there apart from a body.

The chassis had been restored and fitted with many new parts and sadly left but was generally ok.

As someone not really in the know, and from limited research am I right in thinking to obtain body parts, even for patterns would be an uphill struggle, would even a standard Weapons Carrier type body be difficult to obtain ?

Are there any sources for spares, apart from the US ?

My inclination was to walk away and save for something more complete what would other members consider ?

Well horses for courses really, but yes body panels are the hard bits to find and usually expensive to source... nothing left of the original body at all? Are you sure it is in fact a command car? Not teaching you to suck eggs but at the chassis stage the differences between a C/Cae and Weapons Carrier are harder to spot...

Sounds like a good deal for someone else...

The Command and Weapons are the same at chassis part number level, it's the bits you bolt on that make them one or the other. this one probably has 12 volt electrics and started off as a Command, but it would be easy enough to build it as a Weapons Carrier - if you could find the bits.

There are no good usable weapons carrier or Command bodies out there that aren't already attached to a chassis. You could source most of the front sheetmetal easily enough, back to the dash, but loose rear bodies just dont seem to be about. If you did go for it, generally easier to build a Weapons Carrier body than a Command.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

I thought that would be the case which is why I kept my hand in my pocket.

I considered maybe a weapons carrier would be the more possible option but i don't think that would be easy either as you confirm the lack of bodies about. Just as well I would have had a hard time explaining how possible it was to her indoors.

Interestingly watched the Omega Man on TCM and saw Charlton Heston rolling one ! at least it seemed to be one

There was a Belgium dealer at W&P who makes all the replica body parts for the command car, the complete body shell with seat frames and hood frame would come to about £5-6000
Nick if you are around CW,s tomorrow. I will have those pics of the weapons carrier and the phone number if you are interested.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Nick if you are around CW,s tomorrow. I will have those pics of the weapons carrier and the phone number if you are interested.

Bailiffs been to day ,every thing impounded new locks everywhere.

We made it out over the back fence with the weapons.:shocked::sweat:

• 4 months later...