Sumb?

grunty

hi

still looking for a truck..

A SUMB has come up on the bay of fleas, are they good?

1500 sounds cheap, is there a reason they are cheap?

It has a bit of rust in the cab which I can sort other than that it looks ok and he says it is fine.

Don't want to drive 200 miles to look at a rubbish truck especially as have little experience of said trucks..

It is legal so can be driven home subject to finding enough fuel stations :)

thank you

Al

Edited by grunty

Hi,

Haven't read or heard anything bad about these vehicles. In fact, the general consensus seems to be 'very impressive four-wheel drive cargo'.

This one on Ebay has been up-dated (probably by the French Army , but check this) with the diesel motor, which makes it a good buy, if you can get it for the right price;with eight bids chasing it, it may have a way to go yet! The R2087, the Renault equivalent, has cab mountings problems and some rust issues, or so I have been told!

There is a field full of them near us at Poitiers in France, so you won't have trouble with bitz, also believe our old friend at RR Services in Ashford does a good line in spares!

Good luck

Mike

My brother had one for a while and decided he couldn't keep two trucks so sold the SUMB and has complained and regretted selling it ever since . They make nice noises but aren't excessively thirsty ( relatively speaking ) coil springs mean the ride is better than many , brakes are good . Steering can be heavy but the mahoosive wheel helps a bit . A lot of people seem to dismiss them out of hand because they are PW , foreign and a bit obscure (to the narrow visioned) but they are great fun reasonably straightforward vehcles .

They're good trucks, spares availability is good, motor is the legendary flat head V8, beloved of the custom/hot rod guys/gals.

On the newer diesels, I've heard that air filter elements could be a problem, once stocks are exhausted, as it is/was a 'special',.......although I guess the guys at RR can give you chapter and verse re this.

For a small-ish truely MILITARY vehicle, that is comfy, etc IMO you could do worse;

All the best,

Andy

• 1 month later...