Bedford MWG

The Bedford Boys

Hi guys, after trawling through this immensely superb forum of yours, I stumbled across one or two pictures of a Bedford MWG. These little mw's have murex welders bolted on the back and there seems to have been two different types of rear body fitted to them. Does anyone out there have one of these trucks? Or does anyone have anymore information/photos of them? In the near future I will be starting my MW project (building it as an aero screen model, just to be different to everyone else in New Zealand! haha) and I would love to build it as one of these welder trucks. I may know where to find a welder.

Thanks guys,

Alex Denby

hello mate

The MWG was the gun carrage not the welder, I think there is a picture of an MW with a welding set on in barts bedford bible, i'll have a read up on it later, but i think you'll find it was only the later cabbed Mw's that had them on, and it was the early type, Aeroscreen, that were MWG's, the MWG's were just a modified gs body.

Have you got any pictures of your Mw or any others over there.

Reading in Bart's book, there was only one MW modified to the Machinery k light truck role, carring murex electric welding equipment, so i think you'll be hard pushed to find one, from what it says it was a modified MWD GS truck.

Sirhc has a nice flat bed that a welding set would go onto, or if you really want to be different stick a polsten AA gun on it. I can tell you the aeroscreens may look fun, but i wouldn't take the full screen a doors off to put them on. I had i nine hour trip in mine and for six of them it was raining, no fun at all!!

How many Mw's do you think there is in NZ?

Edited by rippo

As to how many Mw's in New Zealand, I will have to ask my uncle. He owns at least 3 restorable MW's (I use this term lightly as you will see what I mean from restorable in the picture below!) aswell as one complete one my father restored some years ago (pictures of which I will get for you later!)

moded.jpg

Bart Vandveens Kalidascope of vauxhall bedford states at least one Mw was made into a K-type machinery truck. As you can see from the picture it was a later type Mw.

The other picture you have posted is of a 1943 Mw made to look like an early mw, it is now restored back to its original cabbed spec. the picture you have posted is the only picture i have seen of the K-type machinery trucks, i've never seen a restored one if one exsists.

Ahh I see. I cannot see however why the WD would bother only building one K-Type MW. I am sure there must've been more built. Does anyone know what other trucks were converted to K-Type? Also anyone with photos etc of MW's with the AA on would be brilliant!!

Thanks chaps!

There do not appear to be any specific contracts for MW's as K type welding trucks. As they only required a normal GS body, the kit was probably installed in any 15cwt as required. Pity you cannot read the census number on the photo earlier. I have seen photos before of welders in Morris Commercials and CMP Ford or Chev.

Ahh I see. I cannot see however why the WD would bother only building one K-Type MW. I am sure there must've been more built. Does anyone know what other trucks were converted to K-Type? Also anyone with photos etc of MW's with the AA on would be brilliant!!

!

To be honest mate it wouldn't suprise me if they did only make just one.

Have a look at this thread for the picture of an Mw fitted with an AA gun

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10507&page=7

With the AA gun it was only the prototype which was on an early chassis, it only went in to production on the later ones.