If you wear a uniform are you a re-enactor?

fv1609

People wearing uniforms associated with a display, which may or may not include vehicles, are re-enactors displaying "living history".

Our vehicles when on display, by the very fact that they (mostly) run & very often arrive under their own power, to my mind are depicting a mechanical living history.

Now if a driver wears a uniform is he re-enactor with his vehicle? If he leaves his vehicle & walks around a showground is he still a re-enactor.

Re-enactors are expected to take out PL insurance. If you wear a uniform with your vehicle do you need PLI as your vehicle insurance isn't going to cover PLI for dressing up?

If you walk down the street dressed in bygone clothing I don't imagine you need PLI. If you walk around the showground with clothing that depicts a bygone time are you are re-enactor who needs PLI?

What if a member of public comes to a show wearing uniform or fashion of a bygone age are they re-enactors? Possibly not, so perhaps a vehicle driver away from his vehicle is not a re-enactor either?

Where does the need for re-enactors PLI begin? So is it perhaps better just to drive your vehicle & wear T shirt & jeans to demonstrate you are not a re-enactor. But then of course you won't be allowed to go to Bovington events who feel vehicle owners should also be re-enactors.

Personally Clive -

I'll wear what I want and blow to what people think -

But I take your point.

Markheliops

The worry was that being possibly perceived as a re-enactor that some show organisers may feel PLI is required. If you have a living history display it is required. If you belong to a group whilst on the display you are covered by the group's PLI.

But it is stated that this PLI is only whilst part of the display, if you walk around the showground you are not covered & insurance companies exist to provide this individual cover.

So it all gets rather tiresome. I notice that to enter some living history areas at W&P you had to have your own PLI :-(

Most home insurance policies give you PLI for your everyday life regardless of what you wear. If you kneecap someone with your briefcase on the way to work, you're covered. We wrote to our insurance company with details of what we display and they were happy to give us a covering letter saying the household policy covered us.

Where it gets complicated is when you start carrying weapons around. Then most insurance companies don't want to know.

I would have thought that any liability claim against you would first have to prove negligence on your part.

Steve

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

I think there is a bit of confusion here.

Show organisers expect Living History Groups staging displays to have Group PLI. PLI is also part of the exemption for re-enactors to buy replica firearms.

An individual vehicle owner who decides to wear a uniform to compliment his vehicle does not need PLI.

If you are going to wear period uniform I would just ask to people to take it seriously and do it correctly and with respect. If you are to old, to fat, not willing to buy period eye wear (if required) or have a hair cut/remove any inappropriate facial hair, don't do it.

Show organisers expect Living History Groups staging displays to have Group PLI. PLI is also part of the exemption for re-enactors to buy replica firearms.

An individual vehicle owner who decides to wear a uniform to compliment his vehicle does not need PLI.

But what if he has a deactivated revolver carried in its holster rather than a replica?

If you are going to wear period uniform I would just ask to people to take it seriously and do it correctly and with respect. If you are to old, to fat, not willing to buy period eye wear (if required) or have a hair cut/remove any inappropriate facial hair, don't do it.

Perhaps I could add body pierced jewellery - well the visible bits! Saw several WW2 re-enactors at W&P who looked shall I say unconvincing in their portrayal.

Obviously many show organuisers ban the carrying of firearms away from displays.

Whether or not they enforce this rule in another thing.

"Saw several WW2 re-enactors at W&P who looked shall I say unconvincing in their portrayal"

Unfortunately Living History is a very broad church (including vehicle owners) and what individuals do outside of the professional groups who take their hobby very seriously cannot be policed.

Unfortunately Living History is a very broad church (including vehicle owners) and what individuals do outside of the professional groups who take their hobby very seriously cannot be policed.

The impression I usually get is that those who do try to police it from within their own peer groups leave themselves open to castigation for their efforts, either because they have been misunderstood for what they say or type (in a Forum debrief or Event post mortem) or deliberately misrepresented. If simple social protocols are being freely abandonded, what chance do the actors have. It's a bit like inviting alcoholic mates to the Theatre, they get drunk, piss in the sinks and jeer at the stage.

To reply to Clive's question, even if I had a racing snake figure, I wouldn't consider myself a re-enactor if I wore a uniform with the vehicle. I do think that it helps identify the host of the display though, the compere if you will. For this reason, I've worn olive green kit and tea towels on my head but will just as often wear jeans and T-shirt just so I can mingle and not be buttonholed. Even if the physique is 20 years late out of the pub, a uniform of sorts helps with engaging public at the display IMHO but I'd still not think him a re-enactor unless he was obviously living the part and possibly ignoring the public and just getting on with it. If he's not at his post, he isn't re-enacting.

I responded to the bit of this thread that had wandered, but at least it did get me thinking about the original question :)

As both a vehicle owner, and an (appropriate)uniform wearer, I do have my own PLI, - NOT for when with vehicle, thats covered in its insurance, but for when I display kit off said vehicle,..........if little jonny ducks under my (faKe) barbed wire, and falls over sandbags, etc, I'd not be covered with vehicle insurance, so to cover myself, I've got PLI.

There do seem quite a few folk with various pieces of kit, that are on display, who are 'winging' it re PLI; and I feel its only a matter of time before someone, (member of public) gets hurt, and then the sh*t will hit the fan.

My PLI is through a group membership, and company is Shooters Rights, which covers me with both deac and blank firing firearms.

On the question posed by Clive,.......I'd say I'm not a re-enactor, ......BUT thenagain, I guess I COULD be termed one in the loosest sense, when with vehicle. :confused: :sweat: I Think..........

Gonna go lie down now..........

Andy

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
But what if he has a deactivated revolver carried in its holster rather than a replica?

What if he has someone elses revolver you mean :rofl::rofl::rofl: