Ferret Basket help

Lindsay

No not for the furry kind but can anyone help. I want to put a basket on my mark 1/2 to carry more stuff.

Can anyone suggest who or where I can get one. I have seen them around but haven't found anybody who can get me one! thanks

Hi there,

yes Eddie had one but it was made out of wood and converted into a table. Unfortunately he sold his Ferret last year.............still someone else in our club has now bought one, another Mark 1/2, brings the club up to 5 again!

• 1 month later...

REF: I want to put a basket on my mark 1/2 to carry more stuff.

Can anyone suggest who or where I can get one. I have seen them around but haven't found anybody who can get me one! thanks.

If you pay for the metal,mesh, etc and a drawing (of decent, understandable quality, in pencil, or pen, showing fixing details etc, I'd be more than happy to weld one up for you, for a sensible fee.....

Regards, Matt

Edited by Marmite!!
Quote tags

There is some minor discussion about design on the Ferret Gallery thread.

Since you need to be able to move the basket in order to get to the fuel filler, we needed to design around this in service. In barracks we could remove the baskets, but of course BAOR spent 45 years on four hours' notice to move.

The design we standardised in in my own (and Bazz's) regiment was to use something like 1" or maybe 2" angle iron to make the edges, with the corners extended to create legs. Standard XPM made the sides. The edges of the XPM were inside the angle iron, hiding the sharp edges.

Mount points were welded on to the engine decks and holes drilled so that the basket could be attached using large-thread butterfly nuts and bolts. As discussed on the thread, I recommend that the attachment be designed so that the basket lifts sideways (either way, depending which pair of butterfly nuts you remove). This allowed us to lift the basket and the access hatch easily on either side, whether to refuel or to service. (After all these years I cannot remember what we could access on the other side.)

Cover the contents with a tarpaulin and use bungees to tie it all down, and there is no need to empty the basket before lifting, but it can get quite heavy when full and make it a two-man lift.

• 1 year later...

Hello all, this is my first post so forgive any gaffs I might make. Seeing as how this thread is a few years old I have a sneaking suspicion that it has already been sorted by now. I had run across a pdf file giving basket dimensions and such. It was located here:

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/useful_info.htm

About 1/4 down the page. Lots of other ferret info on the main page...would suggest any and all to take a gander.

Will post an introduction later tonight or tomorrow. :)

Regards,

Denny

lindsay

had a cage made for mine bout a yr ago ,

cost bout £200 by a local guy

ur more than welcome to come & have a look

tony

p.s .. have since painted it ...errr ....green .....!!!

637.jpg

632.jpg

651.jpg

634.jpg

631.jpg

Edited by chipper

• 2 weeks later...

My Mk 1 Ferret has had at least two baskets fitted in the past - if you look ate th pics you will see where they attached them. The more recent one is obvious because they have left the lugs in place - the earlier one had mountings which were on the rear , and much closer to the centreline of the vehicle.

Hope this helps. :)

No not for the furry kind but can anyone help. I want to put a basket on my mark 1/2 to carry more stuff.

Can anyone suggest who or where I can get one. I have seen them around but haven't found anybody who can get me one! thanks

DSCN7290.jpg

DSCN7291.jpg

DSCN7287.jpg

DSCN7292.jpg