Insurance for Non-road legal vehicles

Larry Hayward

Question

Tell me someone - if the Road Traffic Acts apply to areas where the public are admitted - even off the Queen's Highway - such as MV events, what kind of insurance do owners get for a vehicle that could never be road worthy or rather road legal - such as a Tank with metal tracks or even a vehicle thats so unique that it gets trailored by its owner to the MV events and never goes on the road but is capable of doing a circuit of the arena?

If they could never get an MOT would that make them un-insurable? Is cover available just for MV shows but not for the road?

12 answers to this question

Funnily enough - my first ever copy of the MVT magazine popped through the door today - in it was a registration for the W&P show and this said, AFAICR, that all vehicles must have 3rd part off-road cover whilst there.

Ths must mean such cover is available - I guess from some one like Road Sure - if so needed????

Funnily enough - my first ever copy of the MVT magazine popped through the door today - in it was a registration for the W&P show and this said, AFAICR, that all vehicles must have 3rd part off-road cover whilst there.

Ths must mean such cover is available - I guess from some one like Road Sure - if so needed????

MV insurance includes third party off road cover as part of the policy..

Hello Larry

Yes you can insure a vehicle without it being MOT'ed.

Our FH70 Howitzer is insured Fully Comp with Footman James. We weren't going to as when it's being towed on the road it would almost certainly be covered on the Militants policy. But it was while moving it at a show under it's own power where we were worried. What would happen if we squashed a member of the public or bumped someones car*.

It's insured under it's frame/chassis number as it couldn't be registered as a vehicle in it's own right.

Regards

Richard

*True Story. Someone at the place we got the FH70 from was telling us about a member of staff who "Knew how to drive one of them guns".

He jumped into the seat, went tearing up the road, spun it round in front of the workshop and went over the top of someone prized classic car, removing the roof in process!! He left the firm shortly afterwards :wink:

Thanks Guys.

Richard your FH70 is a good example of what I meant. I was also thinking about replica vehicles like a Sd.Kfz 222 that I saw at Military Odyssey. The driver I was speaking to said it was made with Land Rover parts but was not road legal! still I suppose a chassis number would do.