1989 "Memphis Belle" Film, Help Wanted

Jessie The Jeep

A friend of mine on an aviation forum is wanting to write a website all about the making of the 1989 film "Memphis Belle".

Is there any of the members here that supplied vehicles and/or props to the film company, particularly while filming at RAF Binbrook. I know there were several jeeps, Dodge Ambulances, bomb trollies etc that were used, in addition to canvas 2D replicas of vehicles for distance shots.

A magazine states the jeep used by the Memphis Belle crew as owned by 'Larry Carne'. Does anybody know him and have contact details?

We are particularly looking for any photographs taken at Binbrook during the filming, and any stories you have if you were there.

The website will be "not for profit", and any material used will be credited to the author of the information/pictures.

If you know anyone who was involved, please ask them to contact me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

I may know where the Cletrac went that appeared in one scene. will have to check. I think the remains of the B17 that crashed during filming went to Kermit Weeks.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...
I may know where the Cletrac went that appeared in one scene. will have to check. I think the remains of the B17 that crashed during filming went to Kermit Weeks.

Matt.

Hi Matt

Found any photos of the Cletrac yet??

or anyone else?? I'm still looking for 'Belle' info

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

The Cletrac that was used went to belgium about 3 years ago,

1 of the M6 chevys used (there were 2 ) is in rowlands castle now,

All the bomb trolleys are in our yard at chichester,

As is the thompson 3 wheeled aircraft refueller (possibly for sale ),

The vehicle co-ordinator for the film was Pete Tombs who along with us

(Hughes movie supplies ) supplied all the vehicles for it,

Larry carny was a jeep owner/driver working for Pete,

hope this helps,

ps, I think that the Gmc workshop truck has since been melted down,

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what the crash tender was? You see the back of one very briefly heading towards the crash landed B17 early on in the movie, you only see the back so can't tell what it is. Also, who owned the David Brown bomb tractor and where did that go?

• 2 years later...
A friend of mine on an aviation forum is wanting to write a website all about the making of the 1989 film "Memphis Belle".

Steve, any news on development of this website?

Saw a Thompson 3 wheel refueller at W+P, must be ex Hughes (he had it for sale 2 years ago).

Tony