What do you use instead of OM13?

When I got little Maud, the Stalwart, there was a large but nearly empty yellow drum of Shell "Tellus" fluid in the back - this is what was in the hydraulic circuits pre Oct 2007 and seemed to work fine!

Neil,

Tellus is just the name Shell gives to its range of hydraulic oils, the suffix number denotes the grade.

To be fair the Stalwart hydraulic system is worlds apart from the Saracen, and in my experience it is best kept to the correct grade of oil.

I once was called out to a Saracen with brake problems, on opening the back up was a pile of empty litre cans of OX-8..........the problem was obvious.......:(

Wasn't OM-13 the hydraulic oil specified for the Stalwart as well Richard??

Neil,

Yes it is the same oil as used in the Stalwart, but what I meant was that the type of hyd. system is very different from the Saracen or Saladin, hence why they should have the correct grade.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought a few words to say how I have moved on with my Saracen / OM13 etc etc..

Richard very kindly sold me some OM13 ISO10 oil which went straight into the hydraulic system, it needed slightly more than I was expecting so thanks again Richard for the 1/2 gallon.

While there, along with a lot of advice about how to handle Saracen's, well received and will follow religiously, Richard showed me his tool for getting the fluid flywheel filler bolt out and suggested a call to Bannisters in Northiam, something I had planned to do for some time. Anyway, the tool was a serious must as having taken the filler bolt out before - very very carefully - the correct tool would potentially save a great deal of heartache, along with an engine out job!

I've since refilled the flywheel, gone for a 10 mile road trip and topped up with about 2/3rd of a litre. Clearly it shouldn't be losing oil but I'll stick with it, that's managable and affordable. Somebody is now going to say it is extremely precarious, but so is taking a 12 ton almost tank on the road.

I've also signed up with Autohome, just in case and though lots more work on Sherry (short for Scheherazade) our Saracen's name we are off to show her at Belmont and the local primary school where they are doing a WWII project. Okay its a bit late for WWII but a tank is a tank!

While there, along with a lot of advice about how to handle Saracen's, well received and will follow religiously, Richard showed me his tool for getting the fluid flywheel filler bolt out

I've since refilled the flywheel, gone for a 10 mile road trip and topped up with about 2/3rd of a litre. Clearly it shouldn't be losing oil but I'll stick with it, that's managable and affordable.

Hi Simon,

Glad to hear that the advice was useful to you. Don't worry about adding 2/3rd of a litre to the flywheel, so long as you are aware, and moniter it, you should be OK.

Just found this:

its a youtube video showing the workings of the fluid flywheel, epicyclic gearbox and tracta joints. It must be late 1940's and sounds like Harry Enfield narrating!

• 1 year later...

I've just ordered a 25 litre can from Morris Lubricants, total price just on £65.

This is the stuff: http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=125&product=Liquimatic+No+1+ISO+10+Hydraulic+Oil'>http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=125&product=Liquimatic+No+1+ISO+10+Hydraulic+Oil'>http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=125&product=Liquimatic+No+1+ISO+10+Hydraulic+Oil

Its all available online : http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk

Edited by simonm

• 5 years later...
Hi Simon,

OM13 is equivalent to ISO10. Comma LIC10 is an ISO grade of 32 which is the common hydraulic grade for plant equipment, etc. The higher the number the thicker the viscosity. The difference in grades is done for a reason, otherwise the military would have standardised with the 32 grade, which was also widely used in their plant. Best to keep with the specified grade, then if any problems occur, you know they are not related to the incorrect fluid.

I was told OM13 is equivalent to ISO 15, so seeing ISO 10 in this post is troublesome, because both sources for the information know what they are talking about. I need to get hydraulic fluid and now don't know which spec to order. :cry:

AFAIK, OM-13 is ISO 12; you can safely substitute either ISO 10 or ISO 15, with 10 being preferred in colder climates, 15 in warmer, but it really won't make all that much difference. Try and get some with a dye in it though, it's really hard to read the dipstick or tell if the fluid flywheel is full with a clear fluid.

Cheers,

Terry

When I was running a tank driving bussines with quite a few military vehicles I gave the local Fuchs depot a ring and they supplied OM13, OEP 220 and a few others in the tins as supplied to the MOD. I was after equivalents but they just said "but we supply the original, will that do" ! The price was the same anyway and it came in the correct tins, perfect.:D

This is about 12 yeas ago but I am sure they will still be able to help.

Cheers

Iain