Wanted 750 x 16 tyres to make Bob mobile, series 2 bits

winchman

My Son has bought an old series 2 Land Rover, the tyres have had it we have found three locally just need two more if any one has a full set or just two and are local to the North west let me know.

We have three cross plays and one Avon Radial so just need to make a usable set of 5 with or without wheels.

We are also looking for a series 2 front end to put Bob back to how he should be, hops for his canvas and doors even tatty ones to fit whilst we repair the current ones

Front.jpg

43 minutes ago, MatchFuzee said:

Unless Bob is just for off road use, it is illegal to fit cross ply and radial tyres on the same axle or to fit cross ply tyres on the rear axle with radial tyres on the front axle.

Thanks for the reminder, I was aware thats why I mentioned it as if some one has 4 radials or two cross plys I am sorted, you never know some one might have two cross plays and want a radial?

I can believe how difficult they are to find, all the ones on Ebay etc are down south?

Found loads of metric ones but it wouldn't be quite right.

So why shouldn't you mix them? I know Cross plays have stronger walls?

23 hours ago, Peakrec said:

Could induce a spin on braking and steering erratic on corners, hence not allowed to mix the two types.

I have some cross plys 750x16 of various treads, pm me please if you haven't got any yet.All the best Nigel, near Sheffield.

Thanks Nigel PM on its way

The photograph indicates your son's truck is a  88" ,  therefore  IMHO  better 16" size(s)  are 6.00 ,  or 6.50 or even 7.00 wide.   A good size is  205R16  (206 80R 16)  these would be radials and the same rolling dia. (when new as a 6.50x16 , that was the standard on MOD  88".    

6.00 . 6.50/205R  are the best dia. along with a overdrive , engaged it will be near to running on 7.50's.   It all depends on type of locality - hills  ? and engine petrol/diesel.

To me the only advantage on a 88" of 7.50's (with correct speedo head)  is when 'green-lane'ing' to get the extra 1" under diff. clearance.

205's -  availability of part-worn rubber ,  used to be better , possibly not as older  RR & Disco breaking is probably now much reduced.

Take care with 7.50's  - most are 7.50R16  with a massive PR of 10 or 12 ,  8PR that are better with 88" are not so common. 

Avon Rangemaster  7.50R16 were a good choice because they were OEM std. fitment at Solihull for 90"  - so well matched for kerb and payload range that is nearish to a 88"  , now at reduced factory requirement  £ has crept up a fair % beyond inflation.   Many buyers of new Defender 90" soon ditched them for bling alloys and even wider tyres - that source of deep tread part-worns has also dried up.

Edited by ruxy

Thanks Ruxy.

It is indeed an 88" but it has a 3L Mercedes Diesel engine, currently you don't need 1st gear!

My son wants 750s as he feels it will look better, we are some what committed as we have half a set of 750 so for the moment have stick with them

50 minutes ago, winchman said:

Thanks Ruxy.

It is indeed an 88" but it has a 3L Mercedes Diesel engine, currently you don't need 1st gear!

My son wants 750s as he feels it will look better, we are some what committed as we have half a set of 750 so for the moment have stick with them

50 minutes ago, winchman said:

Thanks Ruxy.

3L  Merc.  that changes things  LoL

The issue he had is he is a 2nd year apprentice, so limited budget running it as a second car for shows and camping type activities, so needed to be economical, so had to be one with a more modern engine or an old economical thumper, this was all he could afford. It needs a lot of work but all looks to be stuff we can do our selves.