Bedford 28hp starting procedure

jim fl4

Jim,

There is nothing special about the Bedford engine. If it has the military type Solex carb the choke (called a Zero Starter) has two positions, half out or full out. If really cold, set it at full out and when it fires move control to half out until it runs evenly, then push it off.. When hot you should not need the choke, one other thing, do not touch the throttle pedal while starting.

Richard

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Jim,

There is nothing special about the Bedford engine. If it has the military type Solex carb the choke (called a Zero Starter) has two positions, half out or full out. If really cold, set it at full out and when it fires move control to half out until it runs evenly, then push it off.. When hot you should not need the choke, one other thing, do not touch the throttle pedal while starting.

Richard

Thank You Richard for this info.  Is this carb prone to flooding if the throttle pedal is pumped?

49 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Jim,

if it is the carb I described then it does not have a mechanical accelerator pump, it is done by vacuum. The reason that you should not use the throttle is because you will not get the full benefit of the Zero Starter (choke or cold starter).

interesting about the vacuum, I thought I'd read up about the carb too! so that's the reason for the small bore steel pipe attached and I don't mean  the fuel pipe?

thanks again Richard

I own an mw and I use the following procedure. Firstly strictly stick to the procedure set out by Richard Farrant.

if this doesn't work. .......... Give it three verbal warnings, each warning should be more obusive than the last. Should this fail shout 'right that's it' and thrash the vehicle with a branch. As recommended by basil faulty. 

It may not work but it will cheer up people that are watching.

• Haha 1