Whats the difference between Bedford MW v OY?

jim fl4

Hi,  Been spending again and got myself a Bedford OY.  I am completely new to these or any other type or WW2  era trucks.

What's the differences between models?, there is quite  a lot on this forum referring to Bedford MW's and I can see similarities with the OY, but they also differ.

Any inputs much appreciated.

Thanks,  Jim

MW has a 15cwt load rating, later increased to 1 ton.

OX  has a 1 1/2 ton load rating. Slightly longer than a MW.

OY  has a 3 ton load rating. Much longer than a MW

They have similar 'styling' and are based on the civilian truck range of the day but chassis and axles get heavier with the extra loads. The engines and gearboxes are identical as are many small parts.

There was also a forward control 4x4 3 ton called a QL which again used the same engine / gearbox but not many other bits.

All these two letter designations had an extra letter added to indicate the application. Eg: MWD was a GS truck, MWR was a radio truck.

Chassis number is stamped on the side of the LH chassis rail above the cab step.

Hope this helps,  David

• Thanks 1

The seller says the body was made by Austin as an x-ray lab?  Its a door at the back, one on the left hand side, (again a pedestrian door) and then at the front right hand side a 'drop down door', a bit similar to a front unload horse trailer. Except, with this door it is meant to hinge down until parallel with the ground, at which point a metal prop frame swings under and supports it.  Dimensions roughly 13' x 7,3".  Only have a very poor pic of it at the moment, here it is

PICT0874.JPG

Richard, Just looked at the pic and does the pedestrian door on the side tie up with the separate forward compartment for the genny?  Could that door have been to separately access the genny, separate from the main area to the rear? 

34 minutes ago, jim fl4 said:

Richard, Just looked at the pic and does the pedestrian door on the side tie up with the separate forward compartment for the genny?  Could that door have been to separately access the genny, separate from the main area to the rear? 

Jim, looking at the nearside door it is quite close to the front so entirely possible it is to enter the generator compartment as there could have been switchgear in inside. I know very little about these bodies.