At wit's end trying to sell CUCV M1008...all kinds of advice needed!!

LadyLuck

I'm selling my M1008. Lots of interest, all going good, new MOT etc, low price...but on two occasions when a buyer with cash came to buy it, it went wrong on the day they arrived therefore wasting everyone's time.

First one the starter motor went 10 minutes before buyer arrived! spent £300 getting it sorted. Then today another buyer comes...trans fluid everywhere in road and not shifting up to 3rd gear when he test drove, but it was fine before!

Have no more money to spend on it. Removed ebay listing even though there were lots of bids. Can't think of anything other than scrapping it now and trying to forget about all the lost money.

I have not enough technical knowledge to fix it myself so that's not an option.

I'd really appreciate some great ideas on this one please guys!!!

I'm selling my M1008. Lots of interest, all going good, new MOT etc, low price...but on two occasions when a buyer with cash came to buy it, it went wrong on the day they arrived therefore wasting everyone's time.

First one the starter motor went 10 minutes before buyer arrived! spent £300 getting it sorted. Then today another buyer comes...trans fluid everywhere in road and not shifting up to 3rd gear when he test drove, but it was fine before!

Have no more money to spend on it. Removed ebay listing even though there were lots of bids. Can't think of anything other than scrapping it now and trying to forget about all the lost money.

I have not enough technical knowledge to fix it myself so that's not an option.

I'd really appreciate some great ideas on this one please guys!!!

Hi Bud

In a case like this the best advice i would give you is to Lock it up , Walk away and come back to it in a few days time otherwise you will do something you may regret , and there is always some person ready to take it off your hands for a few quid as a favour :angel:

Pete

Just walk away for a couple days, then work it out.

When I was just a young pup (19 I'm 61 now) and was doing a in frame rebuild, I was putting the starter back on and spent over 2 hrs trying to get the 1st bolt back in. finally gave up, went in the house and went to bed. I had tried every trick in the book but would not start in. Came back out the next morning, and had it mounted in less than 10 minutes.

Sometimes walking a way for a bit is the best thing you can do.

One sorley mised member of the MV Fraternity, known to many, George Bullouck had a never fail answer to such problems 'Put the kettle on we'll have tea and think about it'. Rarely failed. :D Though his other classic was 'George have you checked the oil?'

'Yes, it's in the cab'.

I agree with the above comments, over the years I have been in your situation several times. You hit the bottom and decide "enough is enough", I have also done what you are considering however with age comes experience and I quickly realised that it is never wise to act on impulse without giving yourself breathing space.

Many times I have simply closed the garage door walked away and taken time out only to find when I return that what seemed impossible was, in the cold light of day fixable. If possible take time out, do a bit of research on Google etc. Is there any members of your local MVT group you could ask for advice ? I have made many friends in my local group and their advice over the years has been invaluable. As my old mum used to say " These things are sent to try us ". Good luck and stay positive, you obviously have a vehicle people want, you just have to sort the problems and it will sell.

I think the op is actually after guidance on the transmission fault due to lack of cash rather than morale...

just my take

I thought that's what he got ? He should ask his local MVT group for advice as they are local and I have found them a great source of both information and contacts as I stated above. No one on here can do anything but speculate on the ACTUAL problem from afar. The leak could be anything but someone local with some knowledge will surely help ?

The Op is a Lady I believe and a little out of her depth..

All the more reason to get local MVT members advice and help. I have had lots of help and advice from our group so hopefully one local to this will be able to help.

Often, my response to problems with my Saracen is to want to set it on fire. Walking away for a bit usually lets that feeling pass :)

As for your specific problems, I would suggest that you join a local military vehicle group, they're usually full of great people, who are happy to help, unless you want them to work on a Saracen.

Cheers,

Terry

According to Wikipedia, the M1008 uses a standard GM TH 400 transmission, so it should be relatively simple to diagnose and fairly cheap to repair. A sudden loss of fluid usually indicates a torn seal (has the vehicle been sitting for a fair while), a blown cooler line, or a cracked housing (he wasn't doing burnouts during the test drive, was he?)

Can you top up the box and see where it's leaking from? Maybe take a photo or two and post them here.

Cheers,

Terry

Hello LadyLuck.

From another thread of yours, I see that you are from North London. If you follow the advice to join the local MVT, here are the details for your local area (taken from the MVT site)

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: area-details]North London

[/TD]

[TD=class: area-details]Temporary contacts:

[/TD]

[TD=class: excel35]2nd Thursday in Month 7.30pm approx

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: area-details][/TD]

[TD=class: area-details]David Foy 01707 650405