12.00 x 20 tire alternative sizr

garry taylor

Question

So

I have a Bedford MK/MJ with the standard bargrip 12.00 x 20 goodyear tires, i want to know if there is a european size equivalent...as im in Iceland.

eg the new metric sizes

also im prity sure i could change to 11.00 x 20 or 14.00 x 20...but does anyone know for sure...

but the main thing is...is there a euro/metric size that will fit bedford rims

I think you might struggle to find a metric equivalent. Most of the metric tyres have a different profile to the 12.00 x 20, so you'd probably have to go to 22.5" wheels or accept a much smaller rolling diameter and perhaps load rating vs. the existing tyres. I don't know whether that might be a problem under Icelandic traffic laws?

If there's a Michelin truck tyre dealer in Iceland, they still list a 12.00 x 20 in the XZL, but it won't be cheap.

Edit - as do Continental / Conti, in various ranges / tread patterns

Try Googling tyre size converter or commercial vehicle tyres.

Edited by Sean N
Add Conti ref

My guess is that all Icelandic trucks will be running on 22.5" modern tyres, either full profile or low profile (smaller O.D.). I think tyres are designated width (mm) x 20 or so width (mm) x 22.5 throughout Europe - so the only metric part of modern designations is the width.

Below is a table showing the equivalent 22.5" low profile tyres matching an original 20" tyre, but to use these you'd need a set of rims with same offset as the Bedford rims, which will cost you more than a set of tyres. I think all 20" sized tyres are tube type (so can be used on the Bedford rims), and 22.5 are all tubeless and require a rim to suit.

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 19.45.24.jpg

Unless you are after using cast-off tyres already on the island, then since all tyres have to be imported into the island you may just as well get a set of quality (i.e. as new) 12.00 x 20 Goodyears off the Leyland Daf 4x4s, as m109a3uk suggested. If they come on rims there will be less cost in changing.

I would think you need to budget £500 plus freight from UK for a good set. Or pay more for the tyres but less freight through the Icelandic tyre importer?

Edited by N.O.S.
Added missing table

According to this link http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_size_calculators.html the metric equivalent is 305/100 R20 but the nearest I can find to that size is 300/70R20 which is a tractor type tyre.

I have spent hours looking for tyres for my truck, then realised I was putting the wrong info in the search, eventually I did find what I need in abundance, I dont know if im aloud to post a link to the tyre website so for now I wont but nothing is coming up with 12x20, there is 12-20 (crossply) or 12.00r20, someone else much more knowledgeable than me hopefully will be along to give more info :)

Edited by Bandit

As Terry and I said, though, could a local tyre dealer not get tyres the correct size from Michelin, Conti or another manufacturer who still does 12.00 x 20? Bringing them into the country would be their problem then, and done by the same mechanism they bring other truck sizes in.

I think you might struggle to find a metric equivalent. Most of the metric tyres have a different profile to the 12.00 x 20, so you'd probably have to go to 22.5" wheels or accept a much smaller rolling diameter and perhaps load rating vs. the existing tyres. I don't know whether that might be a problem under Icelandic traffic laws?

If there's a Michelin truck tyre dealer in Iceland, they still list a 12.00 x 20 in the XZL, but it won't be cheap.

1200x20 is a standard size which is why most manufacturers offer them, dropping down to 1100 x20 will lower the gearing resulting in a lower top speed. Michelin do a 365/80x20 which is only 25mm smaller in diameter to a 1200x20.

Ha Ha just realised I hadn't uploaded the tyre size table in my post! Post now edited. You can see the effect of alternative sizing by using lower profile 22.5 tyres.

22.5 tyres are tubeless and would require new rims, the rims on all military Bedfords are 3 piece tube type.

1200x20 is a standard size which is why most manufacturers offer them, dropping down to 1100 x20 will lower the gearing resulting in a lower top speed. Michelin do a 365/80x20 which is only 25mm smaller in diameter to a 1200x20.

John, I think that's what I was trying to say when I referred to rolling diameter. 365 is a significantly wider tyre than 12.00 though, so Garry would have to check wheel fit and whether it would foul anything.

It still seems to me that the easiest options are to buy new, correct size tyres from an Icelandic dealer, or to import surplus or part worn correct size tyres; unless there's a significant cost restriction and Garry is trying to find common second-hand tyres in Iceland?

I can imagine why Garry is wanting to avoid using his bar grips on the snow and ice in his back yard! Not the best…..

How many trucks are there in iceland anyway? My guess is that all of Eddie Stobart's and Norbert Dentressangle's fleet combined would cause a nose-to-tail traffic jam around the perimeter road :-D

My guess is that there are no 20" tyres running commercially in Iceland. All trucks will be on 22.5" rims (or maybe the odd low profile if imported secondhand so fitted - not too many height restrictions over there). The possible exception might be military trucks on the USAF base on the island - there could be a source of 20" tyres there but might be bar grip?

As suggested before, purpose-made 22.5" tubeless rims with the correct offset will be expensive and almost as much to import as a set of tyres, you still need a matching set of half-decent tyres if they can be found locally.

I reckon cheapest solution would be to get a set (and a couple or more spares maybe) nice take-offs on rims palleted up for shipment. Try Dave Crouch. I'm now thinking around £1000 would be a more realistic price to see a set of 4 bought and delivered assuming a pallet costs about £400? (that might be way out of course).

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.00.54.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Try looking here Gary:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?8336-12-00-x-20-tyres

These do look a lot wider than the normal 12.0 x 20 tyres, the ones in your photos look to be on the original Bedford rims. Possible some of them are 14.00 x 20 but I very much doubt it. I don't know much about Russian tyres - maybe other sizes than 12 or 14 are available. But if these are the Bedford rims they must be 20".

It doesn't look as if the axles have been spaced from the springs, and it would not be possible to raise the cab because the MK / MJR steering column is not telescopic like tipping cabs, so I reckon these are 12.00 tyres.

p.s. It may just be that these tyres are still available - try contacting Dave, you never know!!

p.p.s. Learn more about all these tyres and secondhand availability in Europe here:

https://www.vrakking-tires.com/stock/

Edited by N.O.S.

thanks for all the links guys...but im more looking at what i can find in here in Iceland...to see what other types of tires will fit....as there are plenty of offroad tires up here but not 12.00 x r20....more the stuff for unimogs

im gessing that out in guyana they have the same issue, cheap latin american tires ( metric), but with british rims

the pis i see of guyana of the trucks...they deffantly look wider

To Issano, Guyana (330).JPG