12.00 x 20 tire alternative sizr

garry taylor

Question

So

I have a Bedford MK/MJ with the standard bargrip 12.00 x 20 goodyear tires, i want to know if there is a european size equivalent...as im in Iceland.

eg the new metric sizes

also im prity sure i could change to 11.00 x 20 or 14.00 x 20...but does anyone know for sure...

but the main thing is...is there a euro/metric size that will fit bedford rims

does anyone think that these would fit as i can buy from a guy in Iceland

4 stk. ný 395/85R20 Michelin XZL. verð 200þ. stk.

5 stk. lítið notuð 335/80R20 Michelin XZL á felgum. verð 100þ. stk

Quite possibly.

The 335/80 is equivalent to 13.00 x 20 but with a lower aspect ratio (80%) so will be very slightly smaller dia. than your 12.00 x 20s.

The 395/85 is equivalent to 15.5 x 20 but even with 85% aspect ratio will be larger dia. than your 12.00 x 20s.

Can I suggest you run the idea by a tyre fitter as the 395 might be too wide for your rims (335 should be fine). They'll have to have tubes fitted if using your rims.

Note that the Guyanans have cut the lower fronts of their cab mudguards to allow those bigger tyres to turn - you'll have to do same to rear of cab mudguards too, and also reset the steering stops to avoid chewing out tyres or steering linkage.

I borrowed a 16.00 x 20 XZL fitted to a TM rim and tried on my MJR with cab raised by 3" and it would not work, but maybe you'll just get away with the 395/85s as with the smaller aspect ratio they'll be smaller dia. ......

Best to ask to borrow a tyre and get one fitted to your rim so you can try it out first. Either that or get some dimensions and do the measuring accurately!!!

P.S. I've seen a Bedford running on 14.00 x 24 wheels so anything is possible, but I don't reckon they had a lot of steering lock!! It belonged to Rose of Kenton drainage contractors in Suffolk but I think they are no longer in business so you can't ask them how they did it.

Edited by N.O.S.

10421352_10152518497109183_8382134252341229826_n.jpg

they are 12.00 r20 and Michelin do you guys think they would be ok...possabley they are work vehiacls tires.... so i dont know if the tread is ok for a truck.....or if they take the speed/weight...any ideas...i know they look like the daf truck tires....but if you look close the tread is slichtly diffrent and goes straight

10360616_10152518497834183_5582606465413286778_n.jpg

the last photo i posted...which were the tires for sale in Iceland...they were a specilised tire for offroad forklift trucks,so they had a speed limit which was way to slow, eg max 25 kmh...sham as 12.00 are almost impossable to find out here in Iceland and the cost of shipping and import tax is too much for the tires (especaly as we are exporting the truck to africa) so looks like we will drive with the ones we have ( i found a 11.00 for a spare in case we get a flat) and will buy a new set in Morocco