The restoration of Dailmer Ferret 01DA04

CaptMax

After seven tedious hours I am almost done with straightening the cooling fins on the oil cooler. This has been quite a task and I can not believe how long this takes! I am going to try cleaning the copper cooling fins with vinegar and salt and will post the results when I am finished. Stay tuned.......

CaptMax

oil%20cooler_zpsmbcdwb7d.jpg

IMG_1709_zps41yue9k9.jpg

IMG_1713_zpsrubhimye.jpg

Thanks Trevor, yes I had to walk away from it several times as it was just too tedious to stay working on for to long.

I am spraying the ends the correct British Sky Blue tonight, then it will be ready to install when I get to that point.

CaptMax

Before and after pictures of the master cylinder, also have new flexible brake pipes ready to install. I will be re-sleeving the wheel cylinders, turning the hubs, and installing new brake fluid and brake pads as well.

CaptMax

before_zpsetindwbp.jpg

after_zpsvzx8beoe.jpg

Exterior%20brake%20hoses_zpsdghx5dis.jpg

I struggle to believe the before and after pics are of the same parts!!!

1st class job on all of it so far.

+1 on this sentiment. How in the world did you manage to accomplish this? I can't believe just throwing parts into a vinegar solution would do that. If you have some additional step by step detail, it would be great!

This is the thermostat and housing after cleaning and painting it. I replaced the thermostat and the gaskets as well as the hose. I also verified that it was opening at 170 degrees and was full open at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. This was accomplished with a pot of heated water and a cooking thermometer.

CaptMax

Thermostat housing before and after. New hose, thermostat, and gaskets.

CaptMax

T_Stat_After_zpsliglbmgd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got all the hatches sand blasted, primed and painted but forgot to take pictures. They came out looking like new.

I did take some of the oil filter both before and after, it was supposed to be painted the British sky blue that the motor is so I used that paint as opposed to the silver. I also have several other pieces done like the air tube from the carburetor to the air cleaner and the cross brace over the hull. I'm getting there but am still working on the new brakes which should be done by the end of next week.

CaptMax

oilfilterBEFORE_zpsjuu4khes.jpg

oilfilterAFTER_zpsennbvi7v.jpgIMG_1693_zpsspbzgfn0.jpg

HullBraceAfter_zpsf53qobwg.jpg

AirTubeBefore_zpszj15byan.jpg

AirTubeAfter_zpsxk1mtfyw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sure are lots of parts to each wheel station. Having the drums blasted and turned and cleaning everything up. New pads being installed along with wheel cylinders. 144 needle bearings per wheel. :eek:

CaptMax

IMG_1895_zpsguy4vktp.jpg

IMG_1891_zpsheo1odbp.jpg

IMG_1894_zpsyqmw1ld7.jpg

Look'n good Capt. Max. Your turn around time in this resto is simply amazing. Thanks for sharing.

A Question for those subscribed to this thread: The universals used in those drive shafts, are they a standard size or something unique to the ferret?

Matt

Look'n good Capt. Max. Your turn around time in this resto is simply amazing. Thanks for sharing.

A Question for those subscribed to this thread: The universals used in those drive shafts, are they a standard size or something unique to the ferret?

Matt

Thanks for the comment Matt. In answer to your question, the CV joints are the same size as the old Ford Transit vans.

CaptMax

• 2 weeks later...

The brakes were in great shape but I wanted to go through everything so I dissasembled them and sandblasted the backing plates.

They use asbestos brake pads so I first sprayed them with fluid to prevent the asbestos dust from flying around the shop.:eek:

Took everthing apart, checked the cables, pads, hoses, ect. These were actually taken to a professional blasting shop as I didn't want that stuff in my blast cabinet!!

Here they are before and after blasting. The one one the top left picture is a finished one with new pads. The one on the top right is as they looked when removed. Last picture on the bottom is after sandblasting them. They all are now primed and painted. I will begin reassembling them this weekend.

CaptMax

IMG_1889_zps54xkklir.jpg

IMG_1997_zpsmjznwyeg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a major malfunction with my Photobucket account, I will relink the pictures as soon as I get time.

I apologize for the inconvienence. Here is what I did this week. I will continue to post and repair the lost pictures as soon as possible.

CaptMax

Radiator before and after:

IMG_1163_zpsf6bb1ef0.jpg

IMG_2054_zpsb9e44e3b.jpg

Then came the rest:

IMG_2040_zps2pdwxtvs.jpg

IMG_2029_zpstlmvnac1.jpg

IMG_2035_zpsfypspgjm.jpg

IMG_2037_zpskudh76fe.jpg

IMG_2042_zps1gc5gw3e.jpg

IMG_2049_zpsk1jo6tt6.jpg

Datadawg, Other than replacing the plugs, hoses, oils & fluids, Fluid flywheel bearing & seal, rebuilding the starter, fuel pump, & carburetor not much more. I will pressure wash and clean it completely before repainting but otherwise it is running like a Rolls Royce B60 should. It will be detailed top to bottom as I won't get a better opportunity than I have now. I will be sure and post pictures when I am done detailing it.

CaptMax