Dodge VC3 restoration

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday's work:

- Fitted and drilled holes in the left side running board.

- Painted some parts of the doors, they're now ready for fitting the windows.

Hope to get the doors assembled this week, will also try to fit the running board at the right side.

Left side is looking pretty good. :D

P1010697.jpg

Had a good day today.

- Assembled the left door ( new glass, reconditioned windowriser, new doorlock...).

- Mounted the panels between the bed and running boards on both sides.

Starting to look like a truck again.:cool2: well... At least on the left side. :rolleyes:

Will assemble the right door tomorrow. During the years we've noticed the doors can be quite a pain to assemble.

P1010699.jpg

P1010702.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

As with all the 1939 and 1940 trucks, everything is "the same but different"

You could cut the top corner off an ambulance or Carryall door and put it on a pickup, I have done so, but the VC 3 door has the retainer strip for the board door liner on the top and one edge, plus the glass is one piece frameless - steel frames didn't arrive till half ton WC.

It could be altered though, unlike the 1939 door which has a totally different lock mechanism

Excellent work! Nice to see another steel cab Dodge come back to life.....and frankly I can't wait till you guys start on the D15.

I have always wondered......are WC54 doors the same, apart from the top corner on the lock side?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks. Well the doors on the VC3 are civillian models as used on the civillian pick up truck models (as was original, later 1/2 ton WC used military doors). This means they do not have a metal frame around the glass, they do not have metal side panels but cardboard instead. As far as i can tell the military ones on WC54 ( and carryall) , apart from the top corners (as you mentioned) and different windows (only on WC54) they are the same as the civillian. I do believe it would be hard to convert a WC54 door to a closed cab one though.

Luckely the D15 will be an easier restoration, the previous owner already started restoring it but didn't finished it.

Most of the bodywork has been done and the engine has already been overhauled. It's running already and has most of the hard to find canadian parts. We will replace the composite bed with an all steel version. still looking for one though.

P1000772.jpg

P1000769.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

Well right door is also assembled. Both doors went better than expected.

Also mounted the firewall and the glovebox. Glovebox originally would have been cardboard like the civillian models, but we found a metal replacement.

Does anyone happen to know a good chroming service (and reasonably priced)? Because the hood ornament of the Dodge is in quite bad shape. Unfortunately this type of ornament was specific to the VC / VF models and is hard to find.

P1010714.jpg

P1010709.jpg

P1010710.jpg

You don't want to re-chrome that.

Like nearly all the Dodge radiator top shell mascots that one is made from really low quality zinc alloy. It won't take the stripping and polishing necessary to do a good chrome job, and probably didn't look better than that when new.

nearly all ? yes - wartime production materials included experiments with soy-based plastic and even lead, but since that 1940 unit was before the official war there was no strategic material limitation, hence things like the windscreen side-slides and locking knobs were chromed originally.

Gordon, Niek,

Thanks for your responce. So, WC54 doors can be modified to fit. Interesting to hear about these detail differences between models and civvy vs army.

Niek, Excellent work on the cab; things are really moving with your project now!

That D15 looks like a really nice project. Indeed I remember you asked for a steel box on the MLU forum. Let's hope one surfaces soon. I presume the one from the guy with the CMP FAT was already spoken for??? Don't tell me it was scrapped....

Alex

Gordon, Niek,

Thanks for your responce. So, WC54 doors can be modified to fit. Interesting to hear about these detail differences between models and civvy vs army.

Niek, Excellent work on the cab; things are really moving with your project now!

That D15 looks like a really nice project. Indeed I remember you asked for a steel box on the MLU forum. Let's hope one surfaces soon. I presume the one from the guy with the CMP FAT was already spoken for??? Don't tell me it was scrapped....

Alex

Well it wasn't spoken for, nor scrapped. The body has gone missing. But i don't have any high hopes for it anymore... We'll see how that'll work out. he does however have technical drawings for making an All steel welded body. If we could get those i could make one and that problem would be solved. i'm already thinking ahead of the paint scheme we'll put it in. Thinking of Mickey Mouse ear camouflage which was used much in 42-43? It seems to me the D15's were mostly used by the british forces and only a few made it into the Canadian army. The Canadians mostly used the D60's.

The VC3 is coming along nicely, most parts are ready to assemble. Still some body work on the mudguards. Then still need to assemble the headlights which from what i've heard are quite a pain to assemble correctly...

a50288d0158306085d1b74e30da5492f48a53ab3beabc0e2371a8dde2bdd4bea.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

Headlights ? ah yes.

First, if you don't have good plugs and sockets for the bottoms of the lights, just wire straight past them, they are nothing but trouble.

Second, the lights will only go together one way, so you can work it all out by trying everything. The only thing to watch for is not to damage the lenses, as pushing them into place and fitting the retainer ring is quite tricky. New bulbs are best - still available on e-bay.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Rally Season started again in Belgium so lost a couple of weekends...

Today we adjusted the driver's side mudguard and running board, drilled holes and bolted them together.

Found an oil guage and a period appropriate blackout switch so all instruments are ready to assemble.

Does anyone happen to have any experience with chrome paint? it's an alternative i'm considering for the hood ornament

P1010806.jpg

P1010807.jpg

Well Rally Season started again in Belgium so lost a couple of weekends...

Today we adjusted the driver's side mudguard and running board' date=' drilled holes and bolted them together.

Found an oil guage and a period appropriate blackout switch so all instruments are ready to assemble.

Does anyone happen to have any experience with chrome paint? it's an alternative i'm considering for the hood ornament[/quote']

Definitely getting closer. I think that radiator mascot looks as good as it did when it was new- not sure it needs more chrome or paint.

It would pay to get the headlight lenses rechromed and polished before you assemble them, new bulbs too, and once again those plugs and sockets in the bottom of the headlights are a real pain unless they are new.

I'm just back from Dave's and have put all the bits in my garage, thanks. Looks like my box of new rear seat brackets that Wareagle made for me got missed, unfortunately. Did you get another set of brackets the same for your VC? I'm going to have to look through my axle stuff now and see if I have the parts to mount it.

I settled up with Dave, and offered to try and find him a windscreen winder for his '46 if you didn't have a spare. I'm sure I have one somewhere

thanks again

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

We have a set of headlight lenses which got sandblasted, we're planning on getting these rechromed. The problem with the mascot is that it's pitted quite badly.

Good to hear the parts arrived well. Your brackets are still at Bart's place. We still need to pick them up with some spares we have there (including a Converto...). Dave comes over regulary so when we get them we'll ask if he can bring them over. i'm quite sure i have one of these windscreen winders over here which is a leftover from a WC52 with a civillian cab we parted out, the problem is finding it... :nut:

Niek

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

Thanks Niek

If Dave gets those brackets back to his place we'll see what we can do. I think he needs to get that Diamond T back together first.

I have one of those winders somewhere. Was keeping it for my one ton van, but since I'm putting a military screen in that I won't need it so Dave can have it.

Trouble is finding it - just like you ... 8-)

• 1 month later...

Well Normandy is over and work started again.

Today we put the right side rear mudguard, running board and bed side in primer.

Removed the left rear fender so we can finish it and put it in primer next week.

Once that is done, most of the bodywork will be done.

P1030041.jpg

P1030044.jpg

P1030045.jpg

P1030046.jpg

also found a nice picture taken during one of the maneuvers in the US (Think during the 1940 Louisiana maneuvers??). Unfortunately can't see the hood number of the VC3 in picture. We're planning on marking the VC the same as the one in picture since i cannot find any more info on the 28 Div using them. This VC3 is marked 2nd infantry Division (Indianhead), 15th Field artillery Medium batallion.

The division emblem is painted on the doors.

1947676_1436207683290614_829238577_n.jpg

2nd-indian-head-division.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

Both sides are now in primer. Painted the rightside running board in khaki to see what it would look like.

I'm quite satisfied i must say. The VC's were somewhat darker then the later models from what i heard.

Put the mudgaurds and running boards on again.

During the removal of the dashboard gauges, some of the threaded rods broke (might sound familiar to others :-D )...

Drilled through the dash to remove them and welded new pieces in place. luckily only had to do three, we've had worse.

Another one of those quite annoying things off the list :thumbsup:. Also found a small lever which will function as black out switch. Originally this vehicle did not have blackout lights. However a blackout switch was installed above the ammeter. When this switch was turned on, only the vehicle's taillights and parking lights could be used (for convoy duties), all other lights would then be inoperative regardless of their switch positions.

Hope to do some more stuff this week.

P1030048.jpg

P1030051.jpg

P1030052.jpg

P1030053.jpg

P1030054.jpg

P1030055.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

All good stuff Niek.

Why the lever switch? The blackout light switch was just the same as the panel light switch I think.

What are you using for manual and parts list? Master Parts maybe ? The VC manuals are pretty useless, I have all three, but there is some extra detail in the Parts Lists ( working on getting the third one ) as some of the Master Parts info is superseded part numbers I think. I have an original tag from one of my rear fenders which was NOS, but the part number on the tag doesn't appear in the Parts List. You will know that both the rear fenders were unique to VC3/4/5 so it's not like it shouldn't be listed.

Hi Gordon,

I'm using the master parts list and the VC1/VC5 (D-9296) manual which Ernie O send me. This manual describes it (Page 3) as a lever type which can be switched from left (Normal) to right (Blackout). The wiring diagram in this manual also shows it as a lever type. I'm not sure how this switch is supposed to look, never seen a picture of one. i'm just using a period appropriate one i found here.

I'm assumed it looked a bit like the lever switches used on Canadian Dodges maybe?

Initially i thought we would have to rechrome the headlight reflector.

But i had some copper polish leftover, so why not give it a try i thought?

2 hours later and I'm quite pleased with the result.

They're not new but they'll do nicely. Also found a stamp at the back of the reflector ( i think an approval stamp?) dated 31 jan 1940. Will post a picture later.

However i believe these headlight reflectors are nickel plated and not chromed?

This might be the reason why it polished so well.

One more problem solved :clap: on to the next...

Will try to get the dashboard painted later this week so we can start assembling the gauges.

P1030056.jpg

P1030057.jpg

P1030058.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

You have made a superb job of the VC3, as you are about to fit the gauges do you have a working water temperature gauge? they are very hard to find, I have a spare original used condition working unit if you need one, I was lucky to find a reconditioned one with new capillary tube in the USA for my Panel van which has the same gauges

Edited by Nick Johns